Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

what does 2 mm left paracentral disc herniation at C3-C4 resulting

Customer Question

what does "2 mm left paracentral disc herniation at C3-C4 resulting in borderline slightly stenotic central canal dimensions, contact with the spinal cord to the left of midline, and moderate left neural foraminal narrowing. Mild right-sided neural foraminal narrowing is seen at this level" mean?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 7 years ago.
Hello bwana man,

These are findings seen on Cervical MRI study.

Disc is a soft tissue in between two vertebrae. Ideally it should be within the margins of vertebrae.

As one gets old degeneration in the spine occurs. Degeneration causes these discs to loose their softness and they tend to move from their space posteriorly. C3 and C4 indicate 3rd and 4th cervical vertebra. The disc in between these vertebrae has moved posteriorly { more on left } by 2 mm. This shift is causing mild narrowing of the spinal canal { lumen through which spinal cord passes }. There is also narrowing of left neural canal { canal through which nerve on left exits from the spine }. This may cause mild pinching of that nerve and so pain / weakness. There is also minimal right neural foraminal narrowing.

I would suggest you to take a Bone doctor appointment. May be few medicines / exercises will help you get better.

Please do not worry, you will be fine soon. Wish you a speedy recovery.
Expert:  Ken replied 7 years ago.
Hello bwana man, These are findings seen on Cervical MRI study.

Disc is a soft tissue in between two vertebrae. Ideally it should be within the margins of vertebrae. As one gets old degeneration in the spine occurs. Degeneration causes these discs to loose their softness and they tend to move from their space posteriorly. C3 and C4 indicate 3rd and 4th cervical vertebra. The disc in between these vertebrae has moved posteriorly { more on left } by 2 mm. This shift is causing mild narrowing of the spinal canal { lumen through which spinal cord passes }. There is also narrowing of left neural canal { canal through which nerve on left exits from the spine }. This may cause mild pinching of that nerve and so pain / weakness. There is also minimal right neural foraminal narrowing.

I would suggest you to take a Bone doctor appointment. May be few medicines / exercises will help you get better. Please do not worry, you will be fine soon. Wish you a speedy recovery.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have six of these same type problems from C6-C7 to C2-C3, plus a metal "artifact" is seen in the soft tissues of the the lower cervical region from prior surgery. I can barely move , when I walk, I walk with a list to the right side and cannot hold my head up. I have to use a cane and hurt so much I'm shaking by the time I get to my car.

I cannot move my head up or left but I can to the right. Being numb in the arms and hands are normal, sciatica is the same - I have had 31 surgeries and if it wasn'tfor my son I'd blow my brains out. What should I do? No doctor seems to want to help me and I am damn sure not a drug seeker either.

I just want to live a few more years until my son doesn't need me.
Expert:  Ken replied 7 years ago.

I can understand your pain.

Please see abone doctor who will definitely help you. Please do not loose hope. I am sure that you will live a healthy life.