Ken
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience:  Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.
25541092

I have a small lump within the ear lobe. I have had this before

I have a small lump within the ear lobe. I have had this before and it usually goes away. This time it is a little larger than the last one I had. I have never had my ears pierced. Although I have worn clip ons before which really pinch my ears. I haven't worn them for about a month.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Is it painful / any change in overlying skin color?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, not painful. From the outside person looking at it, you wouldn't know there was a lump there. No change in color. You can only feel it. There is a crease in that ear lobe. Not sure if that is from the lump.
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer

I can understand your anxiety.

There are few causes of small lump in ear lobe. The most likely I see is small blood clot formation due to repeated trauma { clips you mention }. This clot gets absorbed in few days and may reappear after next episode of trauma. But as you say the recent one has come up even after not wearing any clip so other causes like small sebaceous fluid collection { sebaceous cyst } is likely. Or a possibility of small focus of infection is possible, but it would be painful then {which is not in your case}. So I think it is a small sebaceous cyst or a blood clot.

I would now suggest you to take a GP appointment and get youself physically checked, if it is really bothering you. Or else just keep a watch on size and shape of it. If there is a sudden increase in size or becomes painful then you may need to get it removed.

Please do not worry, you are fine.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Could it possibly be a keloid? Also I had some recent blood tests by a rheum. who said I was Lupus anticoagulant Positive. Would this have anything to do with that. The test was low positive. If it is a blood clot, would it be the dangerous kind that can travel.

Also, I was thinking of getting ears pierced at some time but am concerned since I get these.

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

The lesion you describe is less likely to be a keloid as keloids rise above rest of the skin and overlying surface looks different from rest of the skin.

Blood clots get absorbed and do not travel as in case of blood clots in veins. If this is a clot it is in the soft tissue and not in the vein so it will not travel.

I do not see any harm in getting you ears pierced. But before it is done get yourself checked.

Wish you good health.
Ken, Postgraduate doctor
Experience: Working as a Doctor who Cares since 2001.