Dr.Toor MD
Dr.Toor MD, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,MD,ECFMG certified, 4 year experience in internal medicine & allied

Glue like mucus in the nose, shortness of breath, i cant swallow

Customer Question

Glue like mucus in the nose, shortness of breath, i cant swallow without my throat feeling gooey and phelgm filled! i ahve been this way for 2 year and now recently its has changed into a dry swallow and a rough feeling blockage in the adams apple area! Any suggestions as to what this is would help
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Toor MD replied 4 years ago.

hello, i am sorry to hear about your problem.

have you seen doctor for this and what was his assessment?

Any tests done like xrays?

Any dryness of eyes or gritty feeling in eyes?

Do you smoke?

Any cough?fever?history of chest infections?

What is colour of mucus?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i have see a family docotor and he initially examined me and has notice some inflamation in the nasal passages. He also reffered me to an ENT specially who examined my throat and vocal cords and also prefromed a hearing test of which i forgot to mention i ahve slight hearing loss ! nothing really bad just a slight diffrence. I did have bloodtests for diabetes and thyroid gland. Everything was at its normal levels ! My eyes feel fine although i do feel like i have a chronic fatigue and i seem to choked more in my sleep and have a tendacy to start snoring slighty! I do not smoke although i work in construction as an electrician and i have tested the dust issue by staying on a clean site! I do cough but nothing that is too persistent its usually once in a while after ive tried to clear the blockage i feel! I noticed this all started after a very bad cold possible chest infection which i never really thought anything of a couple years ago! The mucus is always clear generally! I find im more prone to sinus infections now and whenever i

have an infection the mucus is yellowish and sometimes orangy red from a bleeding in the nose

Thanks for the additional information.

well from your description one of the possible diagnosis in yourcase is CHRONIC RHINOSINUSITUS; Chronic rhinosinusitis is defined as a complex inflammatory condition involving the paranasal sinuses and linings of the nasal passages that lasts 12 weeks or longer, despite attempts at medical management.

factors that can contribute are

Allergens

Irritants

Immunodeficiency

Defective mucicillary function

Infection with viruses,bacteria,or fungi.

Chronic rhinosinusitis predisposes to poor sinus drainage and frequent seconadry infections infections(that is what happening to you now)

The goal of medical therapy for Chronic rhinosinusitus is

to promote sinus drainage,

reduce chronic inflammation,

eradicate infecting pathogens.

MANAGMENT

CT scan of sinuses can be done to make diagnosis

treatment goal often requires a combination of topical or oral glucocorticoids, antibiotics, and nasal irrigation.Therapy is given for at least 21 days and may be extended for up to 10 weeks in refractory cases.

if patient doesnot responds to intial therapy cultures can be taken to find an appropriate antibiotc.During intial antibiotic tretment consideration should also be given to possibility of Methicillin resistant staph aureus(MRSA).

I would suggest you to visit your ENT and discuss your disease on lines outlined above.

Hope it helped

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I like the sound of this answer but i have another question if you dont mind

! Would all of this also cause a foul taste in the mouth! It like tasting the inside of your nose or a mucus passageway! i forgot to mention that in my question if you could help me on that i think i will accept this answer :D

yes as sinuses, nose, throat all are interconnected it can cause foul taste in the mouth plus sometimes disturbance in sense of smell.

hope it helped

POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUSES are always appreciated,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im sorry doctor i have another question could the blockage feeling also be cause by some swelling of the epiglotiss with this type of disease?

Its alright to have questions until you are clear.

Well swelling of epiglottis is not ususlly associated with chronic rhinosinusitis. the inflammation and swelling of epiglottis ususlly ocuurs in children due to infection and ususlly is very serious condition characterized by muffled sound fever and respiratory difficulty.

Hope it helped

If you are satisfied, Please CLICK ACCEPT (Green button),
This advice is for educational purposes only and is not a subsitute for a visit to the doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how about weight can weight be a factor in this disease as well?

There is no evidence showing weight being involved in the pathogenesis of chronic rhinosinusitis.

Hope it helped