Ask Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurolog...
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology
Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology, Doctor
Experience:  Neurologist :: Clinical Neurophysiologist :: University of California.

What causes a burst vein It starts off like the feeling of

What causes a burst vein? It starts off like the feeling of a bee-sting, then the area becomes hot and painful and takes on a swollen look of a bruise? This has happened a number of times in my fingers, palms and once on the outside of my wrist. Is this something I should be concerned about? I am 40 yrs old and a mother of two. Please help! Thanks Anneliza.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Sophie :: Medicine & Neurology replied 6 years ago.

It sounds like you had a spontaneous capillary rupture.

This can occur in otherwise healthy people, but can be also related to thyroid dysfunction, liver disease or nutritional deficiencies (ex. vitamin C).
You should consider seeing your doctor to check for these problems unless this has been done already.

There is also a condition called "blue finger syndrome" which is more common in women. It involves sharp pain, then the painful area turns blue (presumably due to venous capillary rupture) and may become numb. Symptoms resolve usually within 3 days or so.

You may be suffering from this condition, but you need to see your PCP for the definitive diagnosis.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your reply. Is this dangerous? What does PCP stand for ?
PCP stands for primary care provider, ie. your family doctor or internist.

It's not so much dangerous as very uncomfortable and annoying to go through, but it's important that common conditions associated with it are ruled out because if present they obviously need to be treated.

You're welcome.