M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
28778822

What would cause your psa levels to go up and down my father

What would cause your psa levels to go up and down my father had prostate cancer 11 years ago and his levels have been going 2.5 to 5.2 and then down to 4.4 and up to 10.2 they are going to do a bone scan on the 28th of jan. Does the mean that his cancer may be back
Category: Medical
Expert:  M Javid, MD replied 4 years ago.
The PSA represents prostatic volume and can increase as the prostate volume increases as the patient grows older. Certain conditions such as prostatitis can also increase it. In the above mentioned cases, the value is used to decide whether to proceed to a biopsy. Some drugs such as Proscar (finasteride) decrease it. Manipulation of the prostate and after ejaculation can also raise PSA.

If they are considering doing a bone scan, its to see if there is any evidence of bone metastasis (spread to the bone).

A value of 10 or greater is considered a significant elevation, but is not always evidence of disease progression.

Also more important than a value is the doubling time of the PSA

Please click "Accept" if this answers your question or post any followup questions.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is a normal psa? is there any way to tell if your psa is elavated other then a blood test? Could it be that the shot he gets maynot have been as strong of dosage as the last one
0.1 to 4 is low, 4-10 is intermediate and >10 is considered high. By doing repeated tests, the clinician can use it to decide what to do next.

"...Could it be that the shot he gets maynot have been as strong of dosage as the last one..."

I don't get it, could you explain what you mean?

Are you referring to his previous treatment with radiation maybe?
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience: American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He gets a shot every three months i believe that it is to help keep his hormons down and he gets a blood test done