M Javid, MD
M Javid, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  American Board of Internal Medicine Certification in Internal Medicine and Infectious Diseases
28778822

What does it mean if my blood work for TSH, 3rd generation

What does it mean if my blood work for TSH, 3rd generation came back at 0.17 (out of range) on sheet. I have been hypothroid for the past 20 years, 52 years old and take .112 synthroid a day. What is your opinion? On this same bloodwork my Vitamin D was very low 12L and I am taking 50,000 of Vitamin D a week for 6 weeks. I'm very confused and the girls at this office tell me everything is fine. Should I seek another opinion? I'm concerned. Thanks, marilyn
Category: Medical
Expert:  M Javid, MD replied 6 years ago.
The low TSH levels could indicate excess of thyroid hormones, so your synthroid dose may need to be decreased.

Higher TSH levels (increased beyond the reference range indicate decreased thyroid functioning (hypothyroidism).

You can have a T3, and T4 test done as well.

While a low vit. D level (serum 25(OH)D ) is found most commonly in elderly individuals and hospitalized patients (over half of nursing home residents), it is also not uncommon to have healthy young women with low vit. D levels, especially at the end of winter, according to some studies.

Vit D supplementation together with calcium can reduce hip and vertebral fracture risk in women after the menopause.

There is also a condition called secondary hyperparathyroidism in which there are low PTH levels, that can demineralize bone.

I would suggest contacting your provider and discussing the above options with them.

If the above answers your question click "ACCEPT". Positive feedback and bonus appreciated. Please post any follow up questions that you may have.

Edited by M Javid, MD on 1/19/2010 at 5:36 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So are you saying that my synthroid appears to be too much for my body? What does that usually do to the body? I am not losing weight- 5'4 and 142 pounds- recently gained 10 pounds over the last year and can't lose it. Shouldn't too much synthroid cause me to lose weight?
Its slightly off I would say, and the dose could be decreased. And yes hyperthyroidism (excess thyroid hormones) can cause various symptoms like weight loss, palpitations, mood disturbances, a fast heart rate, excessive sweating to mention a few. There is also a condition caused apathetic hyperthyroidism where the symptoms may be more subtle.

Edited by M Javid, MD on 1/19/2010 at 5:53 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have spoken with my doctor and he says that everything is fine and gave me a new 6 month prescription for .112 That is why I am seeking your advice- what should I do at this point?
You can consider having a repeat TSH test done.

Please click "ACCEPT" if this answers your question.

Edited by M Javid, MD on 1/20/2010 at 8:13 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should the repeat test be done now or in a few weeks?
If the test was done recently, a repeat can be done in one to two weeks if possible to re-check the results.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I pressed accept and a confirm page popped up with empty boxes- what am i confirming? I don't feel comfortable at this poing because the page is too confusing and I can't confirm what i can't see

Its been accepted, so I don't think you have to do anything else!