Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

can I take allopurinol and indomethacine at the same time

can I take allopurinol and indomethacine at the same time?
Welcome to JA and thanks for the question,

Well there are NO interactions between the allopurinol and indomethacin however it is recommended that during an acute attack such as the one that you had, allopurinol shouldnt be started because it can actually make the pain worse and it should be avoided until an acute attack has subsided. So for gout the recommendations are that once you have stopped having pain and inflammation in the ankle joint due to the gout, then you should start allopurinol.

So if you pain has subsided for now and there are no signs of inflammation oin the joint then you can take the drug however if the pain is still there and the signs of inflammtion are still present then you should wait until that subsides with the use of indomethacin and THEN start allopurinol. Here is some information on treatment of gout,

http://www.hopkins-arthritis.org/arthritis-info/gout//treatments.html

I hope this helps

If I have been helpful,

Please click the ACCEPT (Green) Button so I get credit for my time,

POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUSES are always appreciated

Please feel free to ask me follow up questions, also note that this is NOT a substitute for a visit to the doctor.