Internist
Internist, Doctor
Experience:  MD,MBBS, Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

I found a lump right above my left armpit ,Could this have

I found a lump right above my left armpit ,Could this have anything to do with my breast? Should I be worried? My doctor said it's a ganglion cyst yet everything I've read about this does not seem to resemble my lump especially location
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am sorry to hear about your problem

Well the chances that it is due to breast problem,are also less likely because of its location,there are in fact lymph nodes present under the arm pits which drain the breast area and lesions/mass in breast can cause these lymph nodes to enlarge

Still i would recommend the breast examination and Mammography if there is any suspicion.

However two most possible reasons in addition to ganglion Cyst are

1-Lipoma ,which is a collection of the fatty tissue,and needs no specific treatment unless it is enlarging,causes pain or is of cosmetic concern,these are entirely benign lesions.

2-Sebaceous Cyst is another similar commonly occurring swelling,contains cheesy material,this is also benign,but likelihood of infection in it is high so it is often surgically excised especially when of cosmetic concern or is increasing in size,

Otherwise it can be left untreated,is benign.

I hope the info helps

If you need further assistance feel free to ask.

If you were satisfied,Kindly click ACCEPT,Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The cyst also is sore hard and roundish Would you reccomend a biopsy just to be sure?
Expert:  Internist replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the info.

Well if it is of so much concern ,there is no harm in getting an excisional biopsy done,we do it in routine if the patients are concerned too much,thereby confirming the diagnosis as well...

One thing, i would like to add,if it is tender ,or there is any sign of infection,it wouldn't be a good idea to excise it at this time,best is to go for a short course of antibiotics and excisional biopsy once the infection is over..

I hope the info helps.

if you were satisfied,Kindly click ACCEPT,Thanks.