drzachary1, Board Certified MD
Experience:  10 years of experience in general internal medicine, double board certified in preventive cardiology

After 3 months on crutches because of a tibial plateau fracture,

After 3 months on crutches because of a tibial plateau fracture, what can I expect?
Category: Medical
Expert:  drzachary1 replied 6 years ago.

You can expect to have weakness and some atrophy (shrinkage) of the calf muscles as well as the thigh muscles because you have been not using those muscles normally.

Are you intending on doing physical therapy? Are you still experiencing any pain?

Dr. Zach

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How much physical therapy will be needed, and for how long? Wll I have to walk with a cane or continue with crutches? Can I drive (rght leg)? Can I travel by air? Can I swim? Walk on treadmill?

All these questions depend on how fit you were before the fracture and how much discomfort you are in currently.

Swimming will be excellent for you. Especially walking in the pool. Walking on the treadmill will come with physical therapy. You will likely be prescribed therapy 3x per week for 12 weeks but it varies. You will likely be able to travel by air as long as you have not had a blood clot in the leg. You might use a cane for support at first.

You will most likely develop arthritis in that knee, because of the location of the fracture.