Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

At what amount would valerian cause a false positive for

At what amount would valerian cause a "false positive" for benzodiazepines on a work-related pee test?

I take "Rapid Sleep PM," with 800 mg (.8 % valeric acid, 4:1 hops, 4:1 Passionflower) and 3 mg Melatonin. Could that amount daily cause a "false positive" for benzos on a pee test?

Welcome to JA and thanks for the question,

The only 2 drugs I can find that give repeated references as possible false positive reactions for a drug screening for benzodiazepines are oxaprosin and Valerian Root.

Oxaprosin is generic for Daypro which is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug available only by prescription used primarily for arthritis.

Valerian root is an herbal supplement often referred to as "herbal Valium". And the sleep aid that youre taking does contain extracts of valerian roots and this will give rise to the false positive tst result of benzos in the urine. If you can prove that you have been taking this there is literature available which would show that this is the casue of your false positive test result. In addition you can also ask for a GC/MS test which is much more specific for benzos and that will definitely come back negative for benzos if you have not taken any.

I hope this answers your question

If I have been helpful,

Please click the ACCEPT (Green) Button so I get credit for my time,

POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUSES are always appreciated

Please feel free to ask me follow up questions, also note that this is NOT a substitute for a visit to the doctor.