Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

I WAKE UP OUT OF MY SLEEP NOT ABLE TO BREATH I AM UNABLE TO

I WAKE UP OUT OF MY SLEEP NOT ABLE TO BREATH I AM UNABLE TO INHALE ANY AIR. IT FEELS JUST LIKE CHOKING. THIS TENDS TO HAPPEN MORE WHEN I FALL ASLEEP SITTING UP AGAINST MY PILLOW REST. I USUALLY FALL ASLEEP ON MY SIDE CAUSE IT HAPPENS LESS OFTEN. IS THIS SLEEP APNEA? AND CAN I DIE FROM NOT BEING ABLE TO BREATH SOMETIMES IT IS REAL BAD.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

It appears that your uvula tends to fall backward and partially obstruct your airway when you sleep sitting up against the pillow. Sleep on the side will less likely cause this problem. This is what happens with obstructive sleep apnea. I suggest that you follow-up with your ENT doctor for closer evaluation. There are devices your doctor can prescribe for you to reduce the risk of obstruction and further significant problem so that your can be well rested upon waking up from sleep.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
MY HUSBAND HAS SLEEP APNEA AND BEFORE GETTING HIS CPAP MACHINE HE NEVER EXPRIENCED WHAT I DID WITH TOTAL AIRWAY BLOCK. ONCE I AM AWAKE IT IS ABOUT 30 SECONDS BEFORE I STARTED BREATHING. MY BIG CONCERN IS WILL I ALWAYS START BREATING AGAIN IS THERE SOMETHING I CAN DO OR MY HUSBAND TO HELP ME START BREATING. IS IT POSSIBLE NOT TO WAKE UP AND DIE IN YOUR SLEEP.
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

It is likely that the uvula gets stuck over the airway entry by the dry/sticky throat/airway mucus. I suggest that you consider getting your doctor to prescribe you a mucomyst mouth/throat spray before bedtime to prevent the uvula from getting stuck over the airway. Most importantly, I really urge and suggest that you see your doctor - a CPAP machine for you will prevent this problem. The dynamics and mechanics of the obstructive sleep apnea can vary between persons.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I APOLOGIZE FOR SO MANY QUESTIONS AND I WILL ACCEPT PAY. MY LAST QUESTION AND COMMENT IS THIS. I HAVE NO DR. I HAVE NO INSURANCE. UNTILL I CAN AFFORD FURTHER TREATMENT I JUST NEED SOME REASSURANCE THAT IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN THAT I NEED NOT PANIC BECAUSE THE UVULA WILL OPEN AND I WILL BREATH AGAIN. I JUST WORRY ABOUT SUFFICATING. USUALLY I DON'T PANIC AND I CAN SLOWLY GET AIR BUT LAST NIGHT WAS WAY LONGER THAN NORMAL. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT IT MIGHT JUST NOT OPEN ONE TIME. HAS ANYONE EVER DIED FROM THIS
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply:

Usually the opening of your mouth upon waking up from sleep creates a pressure differential between the two sides of the uvula, and the uvula and/or surrounding tissue will be forced to fall back into their original position, and open the airway freely the the outside. It takes a little time now due to the possible dry throat. I suggest that you stay well hydrated - drink water mostly. Still, when you are able, see your doctor for definitive help.

Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience: Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon