Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Medical Physician and Surgeon
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Hello, I am a 31 year old male I was an athlete in my younger

Customer Question

Hello, I am a 31 year old male – I was an athlete in my younger years and am currently overweight and working on getting back in shape. I was diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder when I was 18 years old and have been on Luvox (SSRI) since that time. I have suffered from Panic Attacks and Generalized Anxiety. Usually the anxiety comes in heightened times of stress. Over the course of the last couple of months I have been going through the interview process for a new job, which has been extremely stressful. This past Saturday I started noticing that I have been getting a weird burning/tingling/cooling sensation in my right foot/lower leg. I have noticed that it seems to get worse when I obsess about it and really think that it is related to stress. I have had other physical sensations that have occurred that are related to stress and anxiety. Of course the mind starts to race and you think the worse possible outcomes – diabetes, blood clots etc. Should I have this checked.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

The burning and tingling/cooling sensations are likely related to the OCD/anxiety. It is unlikely to be blood clots or diabetes. However, for reassurance you could check your finger blood for random blood sugar level with your doctor, or at any health clinic. In general, blood clot will cause leg pain and swelling, and not tinging/burning/cooling. These are more likely symptoms of increased adrenaline (sympathetic) flow from OCD/anxiety induced by stress. I suggest that you consider adequate Vitamin B6 supplement, additional stress management techniques and weight loss in order to reduce these symptoms. In addition, your doctor could consider adding buspirone to your medication regimen.

Please, feel free to clarify any further question(s). I'm here to assist you to your satisfaction.

Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.