Internist, Doctor
Experience:  MD,MBBS, Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine

How much methadone does it take to overdose I took two 10mg

How much methadone does it take to overdose? I took two 10mg pills this morning at 10am and without looking at the time i ate 2 more At 530pm. Will i be ok? or should i take myself to the emergancy room?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

I am sorry to hear about your problem

Well methadone over dosage can cause symptoms like extreme drowsiness, pinpoint pupils, confusion, cold and clammy skin, weak pulse, shallow breathing, fainting, or breathing problem.

The toxicity varies from person to person some patients can tolerate as high as 150-mg and some can become toxic even with as low as mg so if you have any of the above symptoms you should seek medical advice at the earliest,otherwise it will be cleared out .

I hope that helps

Edited by Dr.Hashmi MD on 1/14/2010 at 11:52 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well i normally take 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I thought it was later than 530 when i took my other dosage.My chest and breathing feel a little shallow but not much. I also feel a little shaky but that might be anxiety. Please help me i would hate to overdose and die. ive been taking the methadone for my cyclic vomiting syndrome since october of 09. do you think i should just lay down and relax or seek treatment??
Expert:  Internist replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for the input.

As you are taking the doses normally,you just took the second dose bit earlier,it is unlikely that you will have any problem with that,There is less to worry,you need to relax.

Even then the warning signs i have told you,you seem to be more anxious,there is nothing like dying,even if overdose,drowsiness,cold clammy skin,etc are the initiating signs,i mentioned just for you info,

You should relax and follow the prescribed schedule from tomorrow onwards,You will be fine.

I hope that helps.