Dr.tiwari, Doctor
Experience:  M.D.

leg, (thigh) hip pain especially at night laying down

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 6 years ago.
Will you please answer some questions-
1.Since when it is there?
2.Is there associated back pain?
3.What are the aggravating or relieving factors?
4.Any associated disease like diabetes or high blood pressure?
Please reply.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

1)Hip pain on and off for year or so, responded to calcium, flexamin and exercise. Thigh pain past couple of weeks. I have not been walking like I used to due to cold and nightfall (used to walk 2 - 3 times/wk approx 30 mins).

2)no back pain

3)seems to be worse when lying on my side (fetal position) which is how I usually sleep. The pain has been at times so bad that it wakes me up in middle of night, then when I change positions like to on my back, I can get back to sleep.

4)no diabetes, blood pressure always been good.

Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 6 years ago.
The rest pain in the foot which are disturbing your sleep should be evaluated completely to rule out the cause behind this.Generally this type of rest pain are there due to -
1.Arterial stenosis.

2.Varicose vein

3.Inflammatory occlusion of arteries as in thrombo angitis obliterans.

4.Spinal canal stenosis due to compression or narrowing of canal from where nerves does exit.

These different causes should be ruled out by having some tests like Dopplar scanning,angiogram,etc.You should consult to your doctor for this.At present you should do following-

1.You should start an anti inflammatory analgesic drug like advil or motrein or one aspirin tablet per day which will look after also about blockage of arteries.

2.Avoid the stressful condition which may cause ischaemia to arteries.

3.Keep your foot warm .

4.Avoid the diet with high amount of foot.

5.Consult your doctor he may start some drugs like clopidogrel or trental depending on report of your investigations.

Hope this will be helpful.

If you are satisfied with my answer then please PRESS GREEN ACCEPT.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Dr, the pain is not in my feet, it is in my thighs and hips, would your recommendations be the same?

Also, can you clafify your #4 response ? Avoid diet with high amount of foot?

please explain #2 avoid stressful conditions which may casue ischaemia to arteries, how do I do that?

Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 6 years ago.
In that i will keep stress on my third alternative thsat is spinal canal stenosis but even after that your pain on rest is an uncommon finding which does disturbs your sleep .If your pain is aggravating just lying down on the sides then it may also be due to bursitis at the hip but this does aggravates with walking.
In the light of all this i do feel that you should get a complete evaluation by your doctor so that you can have an early relief & can prevent a progression of a developing disease.

Hope this will be helpful.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Just to clarify my last question--what is ischaemia to arteries and how to avoid stressful conditions, can I continue walking? And I should avoid high fat, what about sugar? (I confess I eat more sugar during the holidays)
Expert:  Dr.tiwari replied 6 years ago.
Contraction of blood vessels does lead to decrease in blood supply to the tissues which they are supplying which is known as ischaemia.
You may avoid stressful condition by increasing your tolerance this can be done by doing yoga & meditation & relaxation exercises.
You may continue walking but please also get evaluated.
Excess of carbohydrates does not provide nutrition but having excess of carbohydrates also increase the blood fat which does lead to plaque formation which itself may narrow the arteries.

Hope this will be helpful.