Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 6 year experience in internal medicine

How long does it take for swelling to go down after bunion

How long does it take for swelling to go down after bunion surgery?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 years ago.
Im sory to hear about your problem,

I would like to know do you have any swelling, redness or inflammation around the site of surgery?
Any pain or tenderness in the area?
any discharge?
Does the incision site look ok?
Any other medical conditions? medications?
Any joint pain etc? what was the exact site of the bunion?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I can answer "no" to all of the mentioned questions.

Thanks for the additional information,

Well swelling after bunion surgery can take upto six months to go down, this is a common occurence after such surgery. The important point here is that you shouldnt have any infections in this area, from what you describe there doesnt seem to be an infection in the area.

Now if the area has even a little pain and the swelling is progressing upwards into the calf area and instead getting better, it is getting worse day by day then there is the possiblity of another pathology occuring apart from the normal swelling. One possiblity is that of a blood clot in the deep veins of the leg, this is know as Deep Venous Thrombosis which is a common occurence in people after surgery of the lower extremities because of inability to ambulate properly.

Now if you are wearing any tight fitting shoes or high heels, you shoul stop using thos and that too can contribute to the swelling as well as the pain. There are several methods to decrease the swelling, one of which is to elevate the limb when youre sitting down which im sure you must be doing, also application of compression bandages can be helpful as well.

Some exercises or physical therapy may be recommended to restore your foot's strength and range of motion after your surgery and these will also help in reducing the swelling. Your surgeon may recommend exercises using a surgical band to strengthen your ankle or marbles to restore motion in your toes. Always start these exercises slowly and follow your surgeon's or physical therapist's instructions regarding repetitions.

So the asnwer to your question is, SIX MONTHS is a common time period in which the swelling may persist. However if you develop any of the above symptoms then you should immediately contact your doctor, you can also ask for chymerol forte if available to reduce the swelling in case of any inflammation. If the swelling persist after six months you need to get tests like doppler ultrasound of the leg or even get your heart an kidneys checked.

I hope this answers your question
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MD.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 6 year experience in internal medicine