Dr. Amir
Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience:  Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS
16101430

i am worried about my period it keeps stopping and starting.

i am worried about my period it keeps stopping and starting. Is it classed as irregular. For example, i bleed for a couple of days then it stops, then i have nothing, then just a bit. This then carrys on till the end and sometimes i have no brown at the end either. sometimes i keep thinking i have cancer i had a cancer smear about six months ago it came back everything seems to be normal at this time my mums mum died ol cervial cancer i have had this problem with my periods now for a year now i have been to the doctors to see if i could go on the pill to sort my periods out but they said no because i am to fat will my periods ever get back to normal? also do you think i have anything to worry about/? has my family say it all in my head
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question. I would say yes you are having irregular periods and there are many causes for that which should be investigated and these are hormonal imbalance, thyroid disturbances, obesity, PCOs, inflammatory causes uterine and others. I am glad that you are negative for cervical cancer as you are having a strong family history for that. Yes your periods can be regular but you should be self motivated regarding reducing weight. Once your weight become normal then you will see that your periods do also turn up regularly. I will suggest you to join fitness programs, diet control, hypnotherapy will also be helpful regarding that. I will also advise you to have these fresh tests like serum estrogen/progesterone levels, thyroid profile, abdominal-pelvic scan. If you already have these tests recently and came back negative then nothing to worry and this can be due to obesity only. Follow my instructions regarding weight loss and wish you best of luck for that.

Do ACCEPT the answer if you find it useful in this way I will be rewarded for my work and time here

Best of luck and keep in touch
Regards
Dr. Amir Javed

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
but what are the chances of cancer?
Expert:  Dr. Amir replied 4 years ago.

I have to be honest here and yes you have already a risk factor for cancer due to your family history but right now the things are looking fine and you should not be worry for that. You need proper evaluation at regular intervals. Follow the suggestions which I gave you above and you will find that fruitful. Do ACCEPT the answer if you find it useful in order to give respect to my time and work for you.

Best of luck and keep in touch

Regards

Dr. Amir Javed

Dr. Amir, Doctor
Experience: Master of Internal medicine & Gastroenterology with six years of experience (London). MBBS