Doctor Chip
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain
18722459

I have pain on the right side between my groin and right thigh

Customer Question

I have pain on the right side between my groin and right thigh when standing for long periods and when driving. The pain is not a consistent pain - it's there for a split second then goes away. If my mind is busy I don't feel it. It rarely happens when I am relaxing or laying down. I don't feel the pain when lifting or putting a pushing pressure on it. I have also had a few instances of watery diaherra (I do have a very nervous stomach and have been diag. with IBS). Thanks for your help.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Chip replied 4 years ago.
Can you dexcribe exactly where the pain is? Any swelling or lump in the groin?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Right side next to groin at the bottom of the V crease between thigh and groin...pain is closest to groin. Sometimes with the pain occurs I feel it in my thigh. The pain is only a split second or 2 and goes away. As far as I can determine there is no swelling or lump. That area is not sensitive to the touch. I can also almost make it hurt by thinking about it. I have also noticed that drinking a lot of fluids (mike, juice, water) at times almost eliminates the pain for as long as the fluid is in my system.
How long has it been going on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1 year. The pain has not gotten worse - it does not impact my daily routine. I did injure my back around the same time it started...I can't remember if the pain started immediately after or over a period of time - I pretty certain there was delay between my back and the pain around my groin. The pain in my back comes and goes (lasts for a few days/weeks then gets better) - the main issue is it hurts when I stand up from a seated position or try to pick something that is heavy. It is not hurting today when rising from a seated position.

Were any studies done of your back?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I saw a chiropractor - did xrays - told me the last 2 or 3 vertebrae were almost bone on bone - very narrow gap between each. Instructed me to do core strenght exercises using a large air ball. Did help releive the pain.

Well, there's two possibilities: 1) An inguinal hernis that's too small to produce a lump 2) A herniated intervertebral disk or your spine disorder, either causeing a pinch of a nerve root. You should have the area examined by a doctor of #1 and get an MRI of the lumbar spine for #2. If it's spinal in nature, it doesn't sound like a surgical problem and chiropractic therapy may help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is the watery bowl movements of concern? It normally happens after a normal movement. I have no stomach type pain - other than nerves (I am in the default mortgage business - lots of pressure these days). My concern is the "C" word. I really do appreciate your time - this appears to be a very good service. I am seeing my Family Doctor this afternoon. We have talked about this pain a couple of times - she tells me it's nothing, but the pain hasn't gone away. Pain is strong word - it's more of a nuisance because my brain will not let it go. As long as my mind is busy it's not there - when I am free to think it's makes an appearance. Especially driving my car - must be the way I sit. Also if I am standing for a period of time - like in the morning in front of the mirror getting ready for work.
The diarrhea wouldn't be related, and probably no a sign of cancer--only a symptom of your IBS. If, however, you haven't had colonoscopy recently, you should.
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have not - i will. Again thanks for your help.
You're welcome.