Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

Can you get HPV without having sex with someone

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

HPV can be passed through oral sex and genital to genital (skin to skin) contact.
Sexual intercourse does not have to occur for the virus to be passed from person to person.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I guess what I am asking is can you get this from touching hands, if one persons hand has a open wound?

I read an article that said "this is a viral infection spread through sexual or skin-to-skin contact" please define "skin-to-skin"

I am having trouble figuring out why I have Cervical Cancer if I have only had sex with one man all my life! does this mean he gave HPV to me?

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
I am so sorry to hear that you have cervical cancer.

There are many different types of the HPV virus. Some cause warts on the hands or feet, some cause genital warts and some strains cause cervical cancer.
The type that causes cervical cancer does not cause genital warts or warts on the hands/feet.

Men who have the type of HPV that causes cervical cancer usually have absolutely no symptoms. That is why it is spread so easily to women. There is no screening test for men and men do not know they have it. So they pass it to women unknowningly.

The most likely source of your HPV is the one sexual partner that you have had.
If possible, inform him of what is happening to you. While there is no specific treatment for him, his partner, if he has one now, may be at risk for getting HPV from him.
There is no way to prove that you got it from him. But again, since he has been your only partner, he most likely gave that type of HPV to you.

Take care and I hope that you are okay,

Feel free to ask any other questions,

Dr Abby