Dr. Shah
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience:  Years of experience in patients' management.
12501846

My husband just had a blood test.Anion Gap*Ne It came up with

My husband just had a blood test.Anion Gap*Ne It came up with a 7. They said that is low. What does this mean ? hne is a V.A. patient and is not allowed another appointment with his doctor for over 30 days. nor is he allowed to speak with his doctor at any time per tele... We do not know what direction to take. So what does this mean and what should we do..?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
Is he having any health issues? Was there any other test result which was not within normal range? Is he having any symptoms?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He has many other symptoms. He has asbestosis. He has multiple bone injuries. He has severe joint pain, bruises easily and almost always has huge deep purple bruising on his arms..He is very fatigued all of the time..He is able to do nothing much at all and any movement is at great effort. Sleeps a great deal..Has sleep apnea, which runs at 27, and the mask will not stay on, so he can not use it. Has prostatitis. Has Hashimoto, with nodules on his thyroid. Takes steroids regulary..Has Osteo, Rhueumatoid, and Degenerative Arthritis...sstenosis in his cervical and lumbar spine..and Lumbar disc problems...
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
.hmmessage P {margin:0px;padding:0px;} body.hmmessage {font-size:10pt;font-family:Verdana;}  Anion gap is a value calculated using the results of an electrolyte panel. It is used to help distinguish between anion-gap and non-anion-gap metabolic acidosis. The anion gap is calculated by using this formula: AG = serum sodium - serum chloride - serum bicarbonate. The average anion gap for healthy adults is 8-12 mEq/L. Change in any variables can cause low anion gap, some of the possible causes are:Paraproteinemia, Multiple myelomaHyperchloremia, Hyponatremia, Hypermagnesemia, Hypoalbuminemia.

A low anion gap is largely associated with hypoalbuminemia. Albumin is a negatively charged protein and its loss from the serum results in the retention of other negatively charged ions such as chloride and bicarbonate. I can see that he has multiple problems and his current AG is just little below the cut off value. If he is taken care of all his problems, then next blood testing will come out within normal range.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My computer says this is a test that identifies bone cancer....and perhaps other cancer... Is this true..? He has NO clarification as to what the purpose of the test was...What we need to know is not medical gobble de gook..but why this was a little low..and what specialty field we can find a doctor in who has some experience with this type of testing...The test sounds pretty serious...I don't think we can wait for an answer for several months until V.A. can get a Round Tuitt..Do you..?
Expert:  Dr. Shah replied 4 years ago.
I am not aware of anion gap test which identifies bone cancer. But what I know is Paraproteinemia a condition seen in multiple myeloma (plasma cell cancer present in bone marrow), can be a cause of low anion gap. If that is what your are thinking about then further tests has to be done to reach at final diagnosis. Those tests are serum protein electrophoresis, x ray/CT/MRI bone marrow biopsy. The best person to take care of anion gap abnormality is a nephrologist. If this is not what you were looking for then you don't have to press accept and you won't be charged for our conversation.
Dr. Shah, Doctor
Experience: Years of experience in patients' management.