Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified Specialist in Allergy, Asthma and Immunology

can I take aspirin for pancreatitis pain

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Davidson replied 6 years ago.
Hi there, and thanks for your question. In general it is not recommended that people take aspirin for pancreatitis pain. This is because non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications like aspirin, ibuprofen or naproxen can actually cause pancreatitis. Therefore it is best to steer clear of these medications for your current pain. Tylenol for more mild pain, and Demerol for more severe pain, is often used instead. In addition, drinking fluids as you are, and taking a medicine to suppress stomach acid like Prevacid/Prilosec can help. I would speak to your physician if your pain is poorly controlled. You can get Tylenol over the counter in extra strength dosing, which sometimes helps a bit. I hope you find this information helpful. If you are satisfied with my answer, please click 'Accept.' Take care, Dr. Davidson