Doctor Chip
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain
18722459

IF YOU HAVE A LARGE EXTRUDED DISC AT L5-S1 AND HAVE MODERATE

Customer Question

IF YOU HAVE A LARGE EXTRUDED DISC AT L5-S1 AND HAVE MODERATE PAIN SHOULD YOU HAVE A STEROID SHOT ? AND WHAT TYPE OF WORK CAN YOU DO?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Doctor Chip replied 4 years ago.
Where are your symptoms? Is the extrusion compressing a nerve root? Have epidural injections or nerve blocks been suggested?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

MY MRI REPORT SAYS LARGE CENTRAL ZONE DISC EXTRUSION WITH IMPINGMENT UPON THE LEFT S1 NERVE ROOT IN THE LATERAL RECESS THERE IS MODERATE SPINAL CANAL STENOSIS AT THIS LEVEL THE L4-5 POSTERIOR ANNULUS TEAR IS UNCHANGED IN CONFIGURATION

I HAVE ANAPPOINTMENT FOR A EPIDURAL INJECTION WAS WANTING TO KNOW IF THATS GOING TO HELP AND WHAT TYPE OF WORK I CAN DO SINCE I'M A SALES ASSOCIATE AT WALMART AND MY SURGEON SAYS IT REMAINS TO BE SEEN IF I CAN WORK OR NOT, MY JOB INVOLVES IN ALOT OF LIFTING AND BENDING AND WHEN I STAND OR SIT FOR VERY LONG I GO TO HURTING AND MY BACK FEELS LIKE IT IS BRUISED

Any pain or numbness in your left leg? Did your surgeon suggest that you'd never be able to work unless surgery was done?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I HAVE OCCASIONALY SOME PAIN IN MY LEFT LEG AND WHEN I DID PT MY LEFT LEG WENT NUMB. THE LAST TIME I WENT TO THE SURGEON AND I TOLD HIM THAT WC WANTED ME TO WORK HE SAYS I CANT
But did he indicate that you might be able to work in the future, especially if the eipdurals were effective?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HE JUST TOLD ME THAT IT WAS SURGICAL BUT WITH ME NOT HAVEING ALOT OF LEG PAIN TO TRY THE EPIDURAL INJECTION AND GO FROM THERE , BUT WHEN I WENT TO HIM THE FIRST TIME HE SAID FOR ME TO WORK REMAINED TO BE SEEN AND THE LAST TIME HE SAID I COULD NOT WORK, DIDN'T INDICATE IF THE EPIDURALS WERE EFFECTIVE OR NOT. THE QUESTION I HAVE ABOUT THE EPIDURALS HOW EFFECTIVE ARE THEY

Well, epidurals, usually given in series of threes, can be effective in reducing pain and the leg symptoms, but they don't cure anything, and the results may only last a few months. Heavy lifting, bending, and stooping may cause the extrusion to widen, causing, especially, more leg symptoms. I'll have to defer to your surgeon as to when, if ever, you can resume your normal routine at work.
Doctor Chip, Board Certified Physician
Experience: 20 yrs practice, surgery, general medicine, addiction medicine, pain
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

SO IN OTHER WORDS WITH THE LARGE EXTRUSION THAT I HAVE EVEN WITH THE EPIDURAL INJECTION, I SHOULDN'T DO HEAVY LIFTIING, BENDING, STOOPING? SO WHAT TYPE OF WORK CAN A PERSON DO WITH THESE SYMPTOMS?

Probably no lifting more than 20 pounds. Reasonable bending and stooping wouldn't be a problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

IN YOUR OPINION WITH A LARGE EXTRUSION, HOW POSSIABLE IS IT TO EXPLODE? IF I WERE TO DO ANY TYPE OF LIFTING? AND SHOULD I HAVE HAD SURGERY? WOULD IT HELP IT ANY/

It could actually recede, given time. Heavy lifting or an accident could make it larger. Surgery should only be considered when your symptoms are intolerable, especially in the leg.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

HOW MUCH TIME? THIS HAPPENED AUG 31 , 09 AND THE SURGEON WILL NOT LET ME WORK. I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT I CAN AND CANNOT DO, I DONT WANT TO MAKE IT WORSE, MY LEFT HIP REALLY HURTS AT NIGHT WHEN I GO TO TURN OVER IN BED, AND I HAVE MODERATE PAIN IN BOTH HIPS AND LOW BACK AND SOMETIMES IN MY LEGS AND FEET HURT , IF I WALK FOR VERY LONG MY LOW BACK HURTS , IF I SET FOR VERY LONG IT HURTS ,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
why haven't you answered m last question?
Sorry--I didn't notice you'd posted another question. The receding may take months to years. With what you've added, you may well come to surgery. The heavy lifting is th principle no-no. Other activities can be done so long as you're not in intolerable pain.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Should I get a second opinion? Sat like yesterday we go a lot of snow but it was light I went out and swept the sidewalk off , I ran the sweeper, and done dishes and my hips hurt, and some aches in my legs, Like I said my left leg gives me more problems, If I get the shot I know that it's a temporay fix. That my pain will come back. If I get the shot and I do things won't that irritate the disc more? Sorry I'm asking so many questions, I just need to know how dangerous is my condition
A second opinion is your right and it's always a good idea when surgery is suggested. Your right about reducing pain and unintentionally doing something that worsens the problem, so, even if the shots were effective, the limited lifting recommendation would still hold. Your condition isn't so much dangerous as worrisome, and, like I've indicated, if the leg becomes a hindrance or atrophy of the muscles begins to occur, surgery is definitely the way to go.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

IF I CAN TOLLERATE MY PAIN WITH ADVIL, IBRPROFIN, SHOULD I STILL GET THE SHOT? I'VE NOTICED THAT MY LEFT HAND IS STARTING TO GET TINGLING IN IT DOES THE EXTRUSION EFFECT THAT TO?

No--the extruded lumbar dask would have no effect on the upper extremities. As I said, the shot wouldn't cure anything, so it's not essential.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so in other words I should tell the surgeon that with advil and Ibropfin the pain is tollerable and not get the shot just yet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yesterday I walked on the treadmill for 30 min at 1.7 speed but before that my hips were hurting some and after I was done, they hurt more and my thighs hurt some and my feet

Did I do to much , I'm just trying to get myself built up incase the Dr says I can go to work on light duty like zoning, but I don't know if I can do that for very long since I start to hurting about a hour after walking in the store

Have your hips been studied, since it's unlikely the disk contributes to that problem?

Edited by Doctor Chip on 1/7/2010 at 1:45 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

they say thats the sciatia nerve

The hips themselves hurt to move?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

NO, THEY JUST ACHE ALOT, MY LEFT HIP HURTS AT NIGHT WHEN I TURN OVER IN THE BED, I'VE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM UNTIL I GOT THE EXTRUSION, I NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS, I STILL DIDN'T GET YOUR OPINION ON GETTING THE SHOT OR NOT IF THE ADVIL WORKS THE I REALLY WOULDN'T BENEFIT FROM THE SHOT RIGHT?

Well, the L5-S1 disk wouldn't usually cause pain in the hip joint itself. By what I sad above, I meant that the shot may help, but only for a period of, at best, XXXXX XXXXX months, and, since it wouldn't cure anything, the pain would eventually return. It's worth a try for temporary relief, but it's not essential. By the way, I hope you're taking into consideration that I'm spending a sizable amount of time with you in answering these additional questions, and you're considering this another question session separate from what you've already paid for would be appreciated.