Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery

I have had an extreme sharp pain on the tip of my right elbow

I have had an extreme sharp pain on the tip of my right elbow for a year. It hurts to the touch and if I do any type of tricept extension. I can move something around on the tip of my elbow where the pain is, not sure if its a tendon. It is not on my left elbow. I have had an x ray and an MRI on the elbow. The doctor told me it looked good and there is nothing wrong. I am in the fire department and the military and this is effecting my work. Please help.

Kind regards,
Thomas Dunn
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Does the pain radiate elsewhere? Such as into the forearm and the pinky and ring fingers?

If you hold your palm upwards (like if you were holding a pizza) -- is this pain on the inside of the elbow, the outside, or the bottom?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No sir.....the pain does not radiate. I have had tendenitis on the inside and outside of my elbow. Two rounds of cortisone shots seemed to fix it. This pain is on the very tip of my elbow. Its been there for a very long time.

For example, if I am pushing off or if I'm doing any type of tricep workouts it feels like a very sharp pain, almost like something is pulling off. If I even touch it or if I bump my tip of my elbow on something it is extremely painful.

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.

The tip of the elbow pains could be either inflammation of bursa (fluid filled sac) over the eblow tip itself called bursitis:

which can respond to steroid injections.

It could also be a fracture to the olecranon:

but an xray would have seen this fracture.

And it could be inflammation of the tendons in this area.

Certainly -- what would be best is if you could avoid doing the offending activities (tricep extension, or whatever makes it hurt) to help alleviate the inflammation there. Given your job, I would assume that is tough to do. Seeing an orthopedic surgeon for evaluation can help to diagnose this, since the physical exam itself is probably the only thing needed to diagnose this condition.