Dr. Redd
Dr. Redd, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified in Internal Medicine. I have been in full-time private practice for over 15 years.

ive got an extreme sore throat, yellow lumps on both tonsils

ive got an extreme sore throat, yellow lumps on both tonsils and a burning feeling. Im finding it difficult to swallow, also accompanied by earache. I know i will be unable to get a doctors appointment for days, what can i do in terms of self medicating?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Redd replied 6 years ago.

I can try to help.

Do you have a fever?

How long have you had the sore throat?

When you looked at the tonsils and saw the "yellow lumps," could you tell if the tonsils were redder or more enlarged?

Sometimes our tonsils get debris in their crypts, called "tonsilloliths." Do the "yellow bumps" look like something arising from a crypt in the tonsil, or do they look like a discharge coating the tonsil?

Dr. Redd

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My sore throat started fri night but is considerably painful in comparison today.

My tonsils look bumpy and are a different shape to usual and red at the top.

I wouldnt say i had a fever and they dont look like discharge coating my tonsils

Expert:  Dr. Redd replied 6 years ago.

If you have strep throat, it is important that it be treated with antibiotics, due to some rare problems that can occur later on after the sore throat. Strep is a bacteria.

But, some of your symptoms sound more like a viral sore throat, which will not respond to antibiotics. This is because, with strep, there is usually a fever. Also, when you look at the tonsils, many times they are significantly red and swollen, with a discharge coating them.

So ... it is quite possible that what you have is a viral sore throat, which is best treated with rest, fluids, and Tylenol (acetaminophen) or Motrin (ibuprofen) for pain. Viruses go away on their own, usually within a week. Antibiotics don't help them go away any faster.

If you develop a fever or if the tonsils get redder, more painful, or develop a coating type discharge, then I would see your doctor for a strep test. You could also be checked for strep at one of the nurse practitioner clinics they have at some pharmacies (in my area at CVS) and Wal-Marts now. If it were positive, they could prescribe the appropriate antibiotics.

I am attaching a couple of links for fairly classic pictures of strep throat: ttp://

Best wishes,

Dr. Redd