Dr.Brown, Doctor
Experience:  Family Practice

How long does it take the liver to go back to normal after

How long does it take the liver to go back to normal after comsuming alcohol?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Brown replied 6 years ago.

Dear Doran,

That depends on how long you have been drinking and how much. Damage usually results over a period of time. There are many diseases that can be the result of excessive alcohol use including cirrhosis and hepatitis.

A measure of liver disease is from checking liver function test. Oe of the tests is for GGT, is a sensitive laboratory test for heavy drinking and can return to normal days to weeks after stopping the alcohol. ASt and ALT are also liver function tests that can check for any liver damage or disease. I would give yourself at least a few weeks.

If you have any questions let me know. If not please click accept. Any bonus or positive feedback always appreciated. thank you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have 4 days left before I have a liver screen done. I drink everyday. Is this enough time for my liver to go back to normal?