Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
20297917

i have a headache, sore throat, dry mouth,body aches sometimes,

i have a headache, sore throat, dry mouth,body aches sometimes, fatigue, i constantly worry that i have a disease or something major wrong with me, can heavy smoking cause my symptoms, im also currently deployed to iraq, can depression make u physically sick
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry you are not feeling well.

How long has this been going on? (the headache, sore throat, etc)
Do you have a fever?
Shortness of breath?
Do you have a specific disease that you are worried about?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
im not sure how long its been going on off and on for a awhile i think, im not sure about the fever i feel warm sometimes, im worried i might have an std or something, and i have shortness of breathe sometimes but im a heavy smoker also
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thank you for the information.

Is it HIV that you are concerned about?
Do you have any burning with urination?
Rash?
Discharge from the penis?
Swollen glands?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it is hiv im concerned about, it might burn sometimes when i urinate, and i have dry skin thats about it
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks.

Well, as I am sure you understand, the only way to know if you have HIV is to be tested.
The most common symptoms of an initial HIV infection are fever (80% of people), swollen glands, muscle aches, sore throat, rash and headache (40-80%) and oral/genital ulcers, nausea/vomiting and diarrhea (10-40%).

It is so difficult, though, to say whether your symptoms are due to a primary HIV infection because there are many, many other things that could be causing them. In fact, other viral infections are much more common and more likely to be the cause.

As you are also asking, smoking can lead to an irritated throat and a chronic cough.
It can also cause a dry mouth and lead to general feelings of not being well.

If you are depressed, you also can feel unwell. Your mental well-being, in my opinion, strongly influences your physical well being. Depression can lead to poor sleep, poor eating habits, etc. This can make you more prone to illness. People who are depressed also often have physical symptoms.

I encourage you to have the HIV test when you can. It will calm your fears and give you an answer so you can stop worrying. I know it is highly anxiety provoking. But it is the only way for you to know.

Cutting down on the cigarettes will also help you to feel better.

Feel free to ask any follow up questions and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what does a hiv rash look like?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
The rash usually occurs about 48 to 72 hours after the onset of the fever and lasts 5-8 days.
The most common places for it to occur are on the upper chest, collar area and the face, although it can also occur on the scalp, arms, legs, feet and hands.

The spots are usually 5-10 mm in size,oval to round, pink to deep red and flat or raised pimple like lesions.
Less common appearances of the rash include blisters, hives or whiteheads.

Here is one example:

http://www.skinsight.com/images/dx/webAdult/humanImmunodeficiencyVirusPrimaryInfectionHIV_40361_lg.jpg

Dr Abby

Edited by Dr. Abby on 1/2/2010 at 8:44 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if i have a fever of 100 degrees would i know it, what are some side effects of a fever that high?
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
A fever of 100 degrees is a low grade fever. Many people would not notice that they have this body temperature.
Other people may notice an increase in their heart rate, feeling hot, body aches.

A fever of 100 is not at all dangerous.

Dr Abby

Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States