Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine

I am 70 and my anus does not close like it use to so I do have

I am 70 and my anus does not close like it use to so I do have some discharge during the day, what can I do
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Hi, sometimes as we age there is a weakness in the anal sphincter. So that causes the discharge. There are no meds to correct this, but a colorectal surgeon should be consulted. A colonoscopy should be done to make check for colon cancer that can also cause this problem. There are exercises that may help. Also sacral nerve stimulation is another technique. Then finally there is corrective surgery on the sphincter.
So you need to see a colorectal surgeon and get evaluated. Then various treatment options can be discussed with you and tried.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

sacral nerve stimulation what is this and what do you do

Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
That's a treatment of last resort where a stimulator is implanted in the back to stimulate the nerves that control the anal spinchter.