Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

I have a rash on my legs that is spreading rapidly. It itches

I have a rash on my legs that is spreading rapidly. It itches and burns. I've tried taking benadryl, putting ice on it, putting powder on it. It is very hot to the touch.
Do I need an antibiotic? Please help.
Mrs. Edmonds

Are your legs swollen?
Is it on both legs or only one leg?
Are you having any fever or chills?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's on both legs. My legs are hot where the rash is. I don't have fever. It's spreading a little bit more each day. I've had it for about 3 days. The back of my knees are swollen.
Do you have any history of varicose veins?
Is there any blistering to the rash?
Is it painful to the touch?
Do you take any medications? Are any of them new?
Are you diabetic?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No varicos veins.I am not a diabetic. I do take meds but none of them are new. There are raised bumps with the rash.
Ok, thank you for the additional information,

It is difficult to say whether this is an infection or a contact dermatitis (allergy).
Symptoms of cellulitis (which is a skin infection) include pain, warmth, redness that turns white briefly if you press on the area, swelling. It usually does not itch.

However, if it began with itching, you scratched it and bacteria were introduced into the skin, then it may have become infected secondarily.

The fact that it is spreading, in my opinion, warrants having someone look at it. If it is infection, you do not want it to continue to spread.

If it ends up being contact dermatitis, the doctor can give you prescription medication to help with the rash. So either way, you will get relief if you see a doctor today (I would go to a walk in clinic if you can).

Feel free to ask any follow up questions and I will be happy to discuss further,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!