Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

hey there my upper arm is really sore, it has a burning sensation

hey there
my upper arm is really sore, it has a burning sensation with pain that radiates from that down and through my bicep muscle, into the muscles that run down my forearm and into my hand, i also have a dull burning ache into my shoulder muscle up into the side of my neck. my collar bone is seriously painful. My hand tingles most of the time. my doctor has sent me for x-rays but this has not shown anything. i have two distinct lines at either end of my bicep that were never there before - the top line actually creases when i lift my arm - i am not a weight lifter so this should not be happening. I have had no accidents or broken any bones. It is very draining and i am tired all of the time ..
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 4 years ago.

Greetings.

Since how long are your symptoms?

Is there any redness, swelling, tenderness, warmth in arm or forearm?

Are you diabetic?

Are you on any medications or supplements?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My symptoms have been maybe three months now - it started out as being quite manageable but over time it is an awful lot worse - there is only slight swelling around the out part of my arm pit - nothing else except for the funny lines. there is no 'warmth' in my arm or forearm. i am not a diabetic but i do have a slight heart condition that i am taking aspirin, amlodipine and simvastatin for - this condition was diagnosed maybe in February last year? the specialist thought i might have syndrome x but this has not been confirmed as my doctor has never discussed his findings with me (she is a bit forgetful) the pain in my arm is very very sore and it is the worst it has been yesterday and today - i am not looking forward to tomorrow. I have almost full movement in my arm, i have trouble getting my car into reverse gear and driving is pretty sore too. it is more painful when i lift my arm outwards and when i move it across my body with the elbow pointing outwards. it pops sometimes and when it does that i almost faint it is that sore ..

Greetings.

Which area was x-rayed?

Was an MRI of shoulder and / or neck contemplated?

Have you consulted a specialist like orthopedics?

What specific movements of your shoulder, elbow or neck are painful and restricted?

Since how long are you taking Simvastatin?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
6 xrays were taken, front, back, twist out twist in upper and under. My doctor has ordered a scan to be done but that could take months for the appointment, have been taking simvastatin for about 9 months -

Simvastatin can cause myalgia and arthralgia (muscle, joint, tendon and bursa problems) and pain in soft tissues; so if this started after the medication this may be one of the consideration of the cause. Please read the side effect section of the resource;

http://www.rxlist.com/zocor-drug.htm

The other causes of consideration would be;

1) Bicipital tendinitis

2) Frozen shoulder

3) Biceps rupture

4) Brachial neuritis

5) Rotator cuff disease

6) Cervical radiculopathy

7) Cervical spondylosis

8) Suprascapular neuropathy

Majority of people with above problems will respond to physical therapy alone. The program should be aggressive, daily and assisted by the physical therapist. The regimen consists of active and active-assistive range-of-motion exercises combined with stretching. Pain may occur early but within six to eight weeks progress is usually made. Other treatment modalities such as heat and massage may help. Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory analgesics may also be beneficial. Deep electrotherapy in the form of short wave diathermy, Interferential current, trans cutaneous electrical stimulation, iontophoresis, phonophoresis also is very help initially.

Those people who do not respond to the initial physical therapy are considered for the following;

1) A subacromial corticosteroid injection

2) A glenohumeral intra articular injection

3) Surgery; arthroscopic or open surgery

Following investigations would be required;

1) X-ray of the neck spine

2) MRI of the neck and shoulder

3) Nerve conduction velocity (NCV) study

4) Electromyography (EMG)

You can consult following specialists;

a) Orthopedist

b) Neurologist

c) MD in Physical medicine and rehabilitation

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Edited by Dr. Arun Phophalia on 1/2/2010 at 10:52 AM EST
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience: MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks very much for all of this

it is all really interesting. I have done my own research into why my arm might be sore - as sore as it is - and i too came up with the conclusion that it may very well be brachial neuritis - it was during this research that i found this website so i guess we are all on the same track.

When i first was given the statins for my heart treatment i did actually have very painful muscles in my legs so the original was switched to what i am taking now - the pain is totally different to what occured in my legs. And i have checked out all the rest of your diagnosis and ruled out most of them based on the description of the symptoms - apart from a slight swelling next to where my collarbone joins my shoulder there is nothing to suggest a rupture of any kind so i think maybe the description for brachial plexus neuritis is the closest to what i am feeling. So thank you very much. i will talk to my GP about all of this and see what she thinks

Have a fabulous day!

You are most welcome.

I wish you a very speedy recovery.

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Dr. Arun