Dr. Rogala
Dr. Rogala, Board Certified Emergency Physician
Experience:  15 years experience, Workmen's Comp, Medical Review Officer

I have sore throat, fatigue, low grade fever, and cough, especially

Customer Question

I have sore throat, fatigue, low grade fever, and cough, especially at night when I try to sleep.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rogala replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your question.

I would like to caution you about using Levaquin for these symptoms as Levaquin is for pneumonia and some other bacterial infections. Also, antibiotics are not indicated for viral illnesses which is what this sounds like. You may have just gotten better while on the antibiotic, but not 'due to the antibiotic' and may have some other underlying illness.

You need to be checked for mononucleosis, strep throat, and have the RAST test for allergies. You did not mention if you smoked, in which case a chest xray would be appropriate.

Therefore, my advice is to get in to be seen by someone. I realize this is New Year's Day, but there are Urgent Care facilities and Emergency Departments open.

Hope this helps. If it does, please click accept.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is not a viral infection. I am well aware of the difference between viral and bacterial infections. Levaquin may be aggressive but I developed walking pneumonia once before. I do not smoke. The symptoms are gradual and accompany my chronic allergies. I am under long term care of an allergist whom I see twice a year or more often when symptoms get worse. I would have contacted her but she is closed for the holidays. I was directed to an emergency room or 24 hour clinic for care.

If you still think that I have a viral infection, then we have no further business and I find you response of no value. I can already do nothing as you suggest. I was in fact treating with OTC product as I said. This is not an emergency situation. But, I work at a day care center and do not wish to miss work or take a communicable respiratory infection to work with me on Monday. I am vaccinated for common flu and H1N1.

I don't recall telling you not to do anything. You did not mention you were already seeing an allergist.

I did suggest testing for Mono which covers all the symptoms you mentioned and strep throat. Both of these would be treatable and something you need to know if you are working in a day care center. Because it is New Year's Day and you were symptomatic, I suggested an Urgent Care or ER as no doctor is open.

If you were hoping for a prescription, we are not allowed to do that on this site. I can easily opt out if you want another expert.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's not really a satisfactory answer. The likelihood of mono is slim. I don't have digestive symptoms consitent with liver inflamation associated with mono. Strep is possible. But, I will accept your answer and agree to the charge. I'll get a little sicker over the weekend, consistent with my past experience and got to a physician Monday, miss work and be prescibed antibiotics. Since you can't prescribe online, you can't help me anyway. But you did your best and for that you should be paid. Thank you.

Just so you are aware, digestive symptoms are not consistent with mono until the liver actually gets inflamed which doesn't happen in most cases. Tonsillitis is fairly frequently misdiagnosed as a bacterial infection when it is actually mono and the doctor did not test for mono because he/she saw patches. But a sore throat, cough and feeling rundown are much more frequent signs and symptoms. Because you are exposed to kids, you are at much higher risk.

Thanks for the accept and I hope you don't get worse over the weekend.