Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 6 year experience in internal medicine
22950887

how long does chlamydia stay in the body or how long can someone

how long does chlamydia stay in the body or how long can someone have it before it's detected?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JA and thanks for the question,

Well i believe what youre asking is what is the incubation period of chlamydia, which means this is the time during which the organism is dormant and does not present with any symptoms. This incubation period of chlamydia is about 1 - 3 weeks during which time you will have no symptoms. Sometimes the tests for chlamydia can also miss this as well during this period.

About 50% of patients with chamydia are asymptomatci that means they have no symptoms at all. These people would need to be tested for the disease and then treated accordingly. The tests for chlamydia are about 50 -90% sensitive that means that 50% can miss the disease. So the normal practice is that we do treat for chlmaydia if someone has some other STD regardless.

If you have been exposed to chlamydia then i would suggest that you wait for 1 - 2 weeks if your asymptomatic (unless youre a pregnant woman then you get tested immediately) and then get tested, if you have any symptoms then you should be treated for it with antibiotics te treatment is pretty simple with azithromycin or doxycyline.

You must be treated, even if your test is negative. (CDC and all STD experts recommend automatic treatment of all sex partners of persons with chlamydia, not just those with positive tests.) Make sure your doctor gives you one of the recommended antibiotics against chlamydia, i you have been exposed to someone with confirmed chlmaydia.

I hope this helps
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i was told that i tesed positive for chlamydia because i went to the doctor's office for my yearly check up and the nurse told me on wednesday that my pap smear was normal but i tested positive for chlamydia and i've only been with one guy sexual for the past 2years and i was wondering how long could i have gotten it form him? i have not been with anyone but him!!
Well, if you have been tested positive for chlamydia and you didnt have any other sexual contact then you proabably got it from your boyfriend. Chlamydia does not stay in the body for around 2 years or so because if you had the prganism for such a long time you should have had some aymptoms of it over the past two years.

So this means that you got chlmaydia recently within the last one to two months and probably from your boyfriend. You should get your boyfriend tested as well, if he has the disease then it means that you got it from him definitely. Also sometimes the test can come back false negative so its advisable to get it rechecked with acell culture andDFA test to confirm these results before you talk to your boyfriend.

I hope this helps

If I have been helpful,

POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUSES are always appreciated

Please feel free to ask me follow up questions, also note that this is NOT a substitute for a visit to the doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you so much because i go every yea formy pap smears or whatever and they always come out fine and my labs or whatever come back negitive for any kind of STD's. this s the first time i have ever tested positive for an STD. i never had any symptoms or anything like that and now when i think about it i wan't feelng too well last week. i threw last tuesay night right after i finished eating and then the next day i just nauseated the whole day. they did give me 2 different antibotics tuesday and i took those and i have to check back i about 6 to 8 weeks!! thank you so much for all your help!!
Well its possible that you have an active infection especially if you have abdominal pains (lower), urinary complaints or discharge or burning pain in the vagina or urine. Its good that youre on antibiotics and im happy to have helped you. oh and a Happy New Year!

If I have been helpful,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i didnt think it would stay in te body for that long and not show up whenever i go to the doctor for my pap smears o whatever. my doctor gave me cipro and zithromax and i took those as a single dose. you really answered my question and i'm glad you gave me the answer i realy needed. so it can not stay in the body for 2 years or so without showing some type of symptoms?
No it cant, especially when you take into account that you regularly get tested for STDS as well, if it was there it would have shown up earlier. The antibiotics that you took were adequate for treating chlamydia.

I hope this answers your question

If I have been helpful,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you so much!! like i saidi go every yearfor my pap smears and they always come out fine and even when they do blood workthat comes out fine and now all of a sudden i test positive for chlamydia and i never had an STD until now!!
I hope you regain your health quickly and Youre welcome

If I have been helpful,

Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience: MBBS, MD.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 6 year experience in internal medicine
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you o much again so much dr. ali
No problem

If I have been helpful,

Please click the ACCEPT (Green) Button so I get credit for my time,