Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I just swallowed a small piece of tin foil- about 1 square-

I just swallowed a small piece of tin foil- about 1" square- should I be concerned?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JA

Well swallowing a small piece of tin foil isnt harmful and this happens to many people. Although tinfoil does contain aluminium but such a small piece of foil wouldnt contain the amount of aluminium requird to cause toxicity in an individual. And secondly the tin foil wouldnt be digested as well in your digestive system and will pass out on its own. Unless you have very severe kidney disease, i wouldnt worry and its not likely that it will cause any problems.

Ofcourse if you get any effects (which i dont think is likely) like diarrhea, vomiting, nausea or sweating etc then you should visit the ER but otherwise it wont harm you.

I hope this helps

If I have been helpful,

Please click the ACCEPT (Green) Button so I get credit for my time,

POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUSES are always appreciated

Please feel free to ask me follow up questions, also note that this is NOT a substitute for a visit to the doctor.