How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Muneeb Ali Your Own Question
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Category: Medical
Satisfied Customers: 3179
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887
Type Your Medical Question Here...
Dr. Muneeb Ali is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just swallowed a small piece of tin foil- about 1 square-

Resolved Question:

I just swallowed a small piece of tin foil- about 1" square- should I be concerned?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 6 years ago.
Hi,
Welcome to JA

Well swallowing a small piece of tin foil isnt harmful and this happens to many people. Although tinfoil does contain aluminium but such a small piece of foil wouldnt contain the amount of aluminium requird to cause toxicity in an individual. And secondly the tin foil wouldnt be digested as well in your digestive system and will pass out on its own. Unless you have very severe kidney disease, i wouldnt worry and its not likely that it will cause any problems.

Ofcourse if you get any effects (which i dont think is likely) like diarrhea, vomiting, nausea or sweating etc then you should visit the ER but otherwise it wont harm you.

I hope this helps

If I have been helpful,

Please click the ACCEPT (Green) Button so I get credit for my time,

POSITIVE FEEDBACK and BONUSES are always appreciated

Please feel free to ask me follow up questions, also note that this is NOT a substitute for a visit to the doctor.

Dr. Muneeb Ali and 4 other Medical Specialists are ready to help you