HouseDoc, Attending Physician
Experience:  Licensed by the State of New York

I cant taste my food. Whats my problem

I can't taste my food. What's my problem?
Category: Medical
Expert:  HouseDoc replied 6 years ago.

The ability to taste food has a lot to do with one's ability to smell the food. If you are some with a history of sinusitis this can lead to an impaired and sometimes an absent olfactory sense. Furthermore, if you are a smoker this can further impair your olfactory sensation. When your ability to smell is affected, you will also lose your sense of taste. You may note that whenever you have a cold and you are not able to smell anything, you may also not like to eat anything or that even your favorite foods will not be as palatable.

The best way to treat your loss of taste will be to treat your sinus disease. In some cases this may require you to take antibiotics. Once the sinusitis is cleared your sense of taste and smell should return

If you have any more questions, then please feel free to ask. If the above answers your question, then please press the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for responding to your question. Adding a bonus and leaving positive feedback will be greatly appreciated.