Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  board certified internal medicine

My throat feels cold/odd when I breathe cold air and it is

My throat feels cold/odd when I breathe cold air and it is difficult to take a deep breath. Any idea what could be causing this? Otherwise I feel fine.
We all have temperature receptors in our airways. Cold air in people who smoke or have asthma, can cause constriction of the bronchial tubes. Smokers and asthmatics are especially prone to this.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That makes sense. I have a light case of asthma which has cropped up a handful of times over the past 10 years. It primarily strikes me in cold-dry air. Is there anything I can do to ease these symptoms? (If a natural cure is not available, is there a particular inhalent I should ask my local Doctor about?) In the past, doctors have recommended albuterol.
there are many treatments for your asthma. Meds such as albuteral inhaler, singulair, inhaled steroids are basic treatments for asthma.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Gotcha. So many of these popular treatments would open up my bronchial tubes a bit. I will look into that. In your experience is it safe to exercise while these symptoms are present... as long as I stop if I get short of breath?
Exercise of itself will worsen asthma. Especially exercising in cold weather. Best thing is to cover your mouth so you don't breath in cold frigid air. Also taking a puff of albuteral before exercise and exposure to cold air will lessen the affect of the cold.
I wouldn't recommend exercising in the cold and then getting short of breath. I"d try to prevent the shortness of breath from happening by treatment of the asthma. Hope you follow me.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Have you had any patients who had success using a cold air mask, such as this one being sold on
yes these masks do help. I personally have asthma and find the skiing worsens it. So I wear protective ski gear to cover my face when skiing. There are all sorts of masks sold that will help. I buy mine at sporting goods stores. I'm sure that the mask you are referring to will also work well.