Dr. Mark
Dr. Mark, Physician / Surgeon
Experience:  U.S. Surgeon / Neurological Surgery

I had a stent put in the groin area if my left leg because

I had a stent put in the groin area if my left leg because of P.A.D. in June 2009. Now I have groin and leg discomfort and the reason for the stent has returned. I have used support hose that has helped a little. Is there something wrong with the stent?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
There may have been nothing wrong with the stent at all.

The stent is used to help "prop" open the blood vessel which is blocked.

Over time, your body can heal through and around the stent, so that your own blood vessel "endothelium" grows on the inside of the stent.

In some people, there is so much of this growth that this can cause "re-stenosis" - or re-narrowing of the blood vessel, and so even though the stent was placed, the body has caused the blood vessel to become narrow again.

So the problem was not with the stent, but just how your body responded to the stent.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Should I have it done over again/
Expert:  Dr. Mark replied 6 years ago.
Yes, having it done over again, especially if you are having symptoms is an option.

It is a procedure that is done often, as many people have restenosis of their stents.

Other options include the bypass surgery, which is a much larger and involved surgery.