Doctor Ellis
Doctor Ellis, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Family Medicine Doctor
23567909

Urine test with dip stick shows following reading - Leucocytes

Customer Question

Urine test with dip stick shows following reading:- Leucocytes 500+++, Protein TR.IND, pH 6.5, SG.DEN 1.030, all other readings negative. What does this mean please?
Category: Medical
Expert:  varun g replied 4 years ago.
Hi
Do you have any symptoms?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, cloudy urine, with small amount of mucus, and slighty offensive odour!
Expert:  varun g replied 4 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for the information. The dipstick pattern and the symptoms described by you indicate an underlying infection of the urinary tract. The ammount of leukocytes is severe and you should consult your doctor who will take the urine culture and swab from the urethra and vagina to find out the cause and start appropriate antibiotics.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The Leucocytes is the lowest reading next to the negative status, which would not suggest a severe reading??? So rather confused by your diagnosis. Yes do agree something is going on and is not right. Very surprised you have not mentioned SG.DEN (Sangret/Densidad) of 1.030 which is the highest positive reading, so not really adressed my question
Expert:  varun g replied 4 years ago.
Hi
I am sorry but I will not be able to give you the answer to your question. I hope that some other expert might serve you better. Therefore I am opting out. Best Wishes!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I Do not accept, as this statement does not answer my enquiry! The reading you say for leukocytes is severe. I wouldn't consider severe as the reading for this is at the end of the lower scale of positive!
Expert:  Doctor Ellis replied 4 years ago.

Hopefully I can help you:

The Leukocytes in your urine are a very nonspecific finding, but do indicate that inflammation is occuring.

SP.DEN is the specific gravity and a reading of 1.030 indicates that you have concentrated urine and are a bit dehydrated.

Protein in the urine can indicate a number of things - mostly infection but also could indicate kidney disease.

Your cloudy urine that has an odor with the urinalysis results strongly indicates that you have an infection in your urinary tract. I suggest that your doc get a urine culture and start you on antibiotics.

I also suggest that a blood test be done to check your kidney function, although this is unlikely.

I hope this is helpful!

If so, please click on the green ACCEPT button.

good luck and best wishes!

Doctor Ellis, Doctor
Experience: Board Certified Family Medicine Doctor