Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD

Ive had a throat infection for 3 weeks; a week after trying

I've had a throat infection for 3 weeks; a week after trying to get better on my own I went to a Dr. & he said it was a throat ulcer (bacterial & not strep throat) so he prescribed Amoxocilin for 7 days, but my throat infection persisted after the 7th day. It's been a week since then, I haven't been able to go to the Dr. so I've been doing salt gargles and drinking fluids.

My throat still hurts the same it did 2 weeks ago. I don't have a fever but am now getting a headache and am worried it is getting worse. I also read online that the bacteria could spread to my chest and become fatal.

My question is, should I go to the emergency room right now (before it spreads)? Or does it sound like I can go to the Dr. in the am & not at risk of getting worse? This is my dilemma because I don't have medical insurance. Going to the emergency room will cost double, if not three times as much as a regular Dr. visit. Anything else you recommend I do?

Thank you so much for your guidance.

Hi Jes,

I can understand your discomfort & concern.

Bacterial infection in the throat is common & sometimes persisting.

Sometimes the bacteria is resistant to amoxicillin.

Hence, you will need a different antibiotic like azithromycin or levofloxacin.

You do not have any fever, nausea, vomiting or mental confusion.

These are the warning signs of systemic infection ( or spread of bacteria).

In the absence of those symptoms, you can wait till you are able to see your doctor to change the antibiotic.

In the meantime take anti inflammatories like naproxen to reduce pain ( sore throat & headache).

You may also use over the counter cepacol lozenges to soothe your throat so that you are able to eat or drink.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your time doctor. I am very satisfied with your reply.

Get better soon.