Dr. Cameron
Dr. Cameron, Doctor
Experience:  American Board Certified in Emergency Medicine and Ivy League trained. Medical Review Officer trained in Drug Testing

My 7 year old daughter has a painful red area/rash on her buttocks.

My 7 year old daughter has a painful red area/rash on her buttocks. Anything we put on it makes her itch like crazy and cry.
How long has she had this? Any other medical problems or medications? Any fevers?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
She had a fever a little over a week ago. She's had it 3 days. it started with little red bumps, all connected and itchy
It sounds like she is having an allergic reaction to something. Some people develop hives, welts, small red bumps, swelling of the face and even problems breathing. Another possibility would be a fungal infection- this is very common in the groin area because it is warm and moist there.

The treatment for this is benadryl- which is over the counter- take as directed for the itching. You may also try an over the counter antifungal cream directly on the rash to see if this helps. In the mean time, use hypoallergenic soaps and detergent and cotton undies only.

If the rash does not improve in the next couple of days despite these measures, call your GP..

warm regards
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you. here is a little more it looks like small scabs all over the area. it's about the size of an egg. it is VERY red and used to itch but now is painful and woke her up tonight. ??? :)
try the benadryl and the antifungal. She should feel a lot better in the next day or so. If she gets WORSE in the meantime or fevers then she needs to see a doctor right away. In some cases, patients can develop skin infections (bacterial) which need antibiotics.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you very much. i am grateful.
You are welcome. Please click the green accept button so I can get credit for this interaction. it allows me to help people like you :)