Internist
Internist, Doctor
Experience:  MD,MBBS, Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine
23050427

i just found a knot in my tongue. it is painful when touched.

i just found a knot in my tongue. it is painful when touched. my tongue is also swollen. my tongue has been swelling off & on over the past 6 months. Had symptoms checked out by dentist. He confirmed that my taste buds are inflamed & that my tongue is swollen.
but he had no answers as to why it is happening or what to do about it. Any advice on what to do now?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.

I am sorry to hear about your problems.

Some of the causes which can present with tongue swelling include;-

1-Infectious like viral (Herpes),or sometimes fungal

In this situation there are coatings on the surface of the tongue,white patches etc.

2-Poor hygiene and low saliva in mouth sometimes can cause tongue swelling and it can alos facilitate the growth of bacteria causing further swelling.

3-Exosure to irritants like smoke,chewing,alcohol spices.

4-Sometimes allergic reactions to tooth pastes ,mouth wash can also present with this.

5-Some other disorders like Iron deficeiency anemia,pernicious anemia, vitamin C and B2 (Riboflavin) deficiency,apthous ulcers etc.

So my suggestion would be to

a-Improve the oral hygiene,use ni-flame mouth wash for gargals.

b-Start vitamin supplement especially containing B2(Riboflavin) and vitamin C

C-Take plenty of fluids

In case the symptoms persist despite the above said measures,you should get evaluation by a dermatologist and may be we need to run some tests as well.

I hope the info helps,

If you have any questions feel free to ask.

If you were satisfied,Kindly click ACCEPT,Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have been to my family doc & my dentist, both before I found the knot today. I went to the dentist first & he said I should see my family doc & do blood work. My family doc did basic blood work/ hemoglobin & said all is normal. But now I have a knot in my tongue along with the swelling & it is painful. What type of Dr should I see next.
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the query.

You should utilize the measures which i mentioned above and give a trial for 3-5 days

you will be fine hopefully.

In case you still have some problem.You need to see a Dermatologist.

I hope you got asnwer to your query,

Kindly click ACCEPT if you were satisfied,Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Really??? I don't think my dermatologist is going to want to look in my mouth. I was thinking ENT or Oral surgeon. Why a dermatologist? Also this problem has been ongoing for about 6 months, with the knot showing up today.
Expert:  Internist replied 4 years ago.

A dermatologist is the best person to see in my opinion because most of the time the cause is mucous manifestation of some systemic disorder/deficiency it is not necessary the region invloved which should bother you

ENT has no role to play.

However Oral/Maxillofacial people can be consulted.

I hope you got it.

Kindly click ACCEPT if you were satisfied,Thanks.

Internist, Doctor
Experience: MD,MBBS, Diplomate American Board of Internal Medicine