Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice
14180959

can osteoarthritis of the knee cause swelling in the ankle

can osteoarthritis of the knee cause swelling in the ankle and lower calf?

Dear XXXXX,

Greetings and welcome to justanswer,

The osteoarthritisof the knee may cause swelling, pain and stiffness of the joint as the symptoms.The treatment is symptomatic like medications, exercise and surgery in some cases.

The other causes should also be ruled out like venous thrombosis, arthritis, inflammation, etc.

Here is the link for more information

symptoms of osteoarthritis

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I know the affected joint can swell but my ankle swelling does not seem to relate to pain or swelling in the knee. I had an ultrasound done to make sure I didn't have a blood clot in the leg. My "cankle" gets sore and irritated from my sock. Could that be due to the arthritis in my knee? There doesn't seem to be much swelling in the upper calf. Should I follow up with another doctor besides my GP? Thanks!

Dear XXXXX,

The ankle swelling may be due to the other causes as well like electrolyte imbalance, hypoalbunemia, congestive heart failure, renal failure, etc.

You may have the relevant investigations done like serum electrolytes, 2d echo of heart, serum urea, creatinine, to know the associated abnormality afer consulting your doctor.

The treatment depends on the underlying cause.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!