Dr .Saha
Dr .Saha, Doctor(MD)
Experience:  35 years experience as doctor

What organs are able to be seen on a chest ct scan

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 6 years ago.

In a chest CT you can see the chest wall & the internal organs.

The internal organs are heart, lungs, & the mediastinum.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Please ask if you need any clarification.

Best wishes.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what is a mediastinum I recently went to the hospital with shortness of breath pain in right side rib cage ct scan came back normal but breathing problem still there was told to follow up with family doc any idea I never smoked I do take prilosec for heart burn 1x a day just interested if they might have missed something was hoping ct scan would show organs such as liver and pancreas and gallbladder do have some pain shortly after eating
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 6 years ago.
Hello again,

When do you feel the breathlessness?

What does aggravate or relieve it?

Where in the abdomen do you feel the pain after eating?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I feel like i have the breathing issue with mild exertion it is not as bad when lying down does not appear to interupt sleep after eating some of my pain is between my shoulder blades and chest this can last up to two hours after eating the majority of my pain is either between my shoulder blades and my right side rib cage about 2 weeks ago my family doc put me on an inhaler for pre asthma symptoms but this didnt seem to make much of a difference also had my cholesteral checked it was 189 with normal blood sugar and normal pssa that was done approx.3 weeks ago if i could grab a hold of this breathing issue i know i would feel 100percent better dont appear to be losing weight also have a decient apetite i currently weight 172 and i am 5ft 7inches i feel like iam in the worst shape of my life!!!!
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 6 years ago.
Breathing difficulty can be due to many causes like heart , lung diseases, anemia, anxiety & others.

When it increases with exertion a cardiological check up can be taken too as the inhalers are not helping.

The pain after eating can be due to reflux, acid peptic disease, gall bladder,pancreatic problems, abdominal angina etc.

CT chest will not show gall bladder or pancreas , for which you need an abdominal CT.

For seeing the condition of stomach an upper GI endoscope can be taken too
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
later in jan.i have an upper endoscopy scheduled july of 09 had a colonoscopy wich was normal.if there is any issues with gallbladder or pancreas or esophagus willthis test help to tell us anything as you probably figured out by now im getting quit concerned this has been going on for about 1month any info is greatly helpful thank you
Expert:  Dr .Saha replied 6 years ago.
Upper GI endoscopy can detect problems with esophagus & stomach.

But for gall bladder & pancreas you need other tests.

Ultrasound / scans can be helpful.