Dr. Davidson
Dr. Davidson, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Board Certified Specialist in Allergy, Asthma and Immunology

what are some strategies to improve patient intake efficie

what are some strategies to improve patient intake efficiency
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Davidson replied 6 years ago.
Hi there and thanks for your question. I recently opened and started my own private practice, so I've been striving to improve patient intake efficiency. Here are a few things I've learned and incorporated into my practice:

1. Online registration - many patients, particularly the younger ones, enjoy filling out initial visit questionnaires online, or downloading them from the practice website and faxing it in. This cuts down on the time spent filling out paperwork in the waiting room.

2. As an allergist who has a population of shot patients, I've utilized a card system for fast entry/exit from the office. Each patient receives a card similar in appearance to a credit card. It has a magnetic strip on the back that is loaded with the patient info. Once scanned at the office into the electronic record, their info pops up. They can be called in and seen quickly.

3. If there is no available electronic record, there are other ways to improve intake. Dedicating one staff member for intakes is helpful, as they don't have to worry about additional responsibilities. This staff member can also find out the chief complaint and pass that info along to the physician(s).

These are a few helpful tips. Unfortunately, no matter how hard you work to improve efficiencies in the office, there will always be slow days.

I hope this info helps you! Please click "Accept" if you are happy with my answer, or ask any additional questions that you might have.

Take care,
Dr. Davidson