Dr Wu
Dr Wu, Doctor
Experience:  Board certified family physician, extensive experience in adult medicine, specalizes in geriatrics.

What specialist doctor treats a muscle, tendon or ligament

What specialist doctor treats a muscle, tendon or ligament tear in the back area?

Thank you for submitting your question.

There is no specific surgery to treat muscular pain in the mid back area. Unlike a shoulder ligament tear(which is repaired surgically by an orthopedic specialist), the muscle injury in the mid/lower back area is usually treated with physical therapy and pain medication.

Your T7 fracture, even though it is repaired, likely contributes to the pain as well.

I would recommend that you see a physical therapist. I think you would benefit from a back brace to stabilize the spine and heat therapy. Acupuncture can be very effective in treating this type of back pain as well.

You can also consult a pain specialist. If oral medication is not effective, in some cases injections in the spine(epidural injections) can provide relief.

I hope this answers your question.