Dr. Wright
Dr. Wright, Doctor
Experience:  US MD with rotations in Emergency Medicine, Internal Medicine, Surgery, Critical Care, Anesthesia,..

what does , there is some heterogeneity of liver parenchymal

what does , there is some heterogeneity of liver parenchymal echotexture without mass. Remainder of u/s normal. Impression suspect element of non specific hepatocelluar dysfunction. I dont understand anything? Doctor not worried but what does this mean? 49 Yr old male otherwise healthy. All blood work normal.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Wright replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for writing. I can answer your question. As you are aware this is an ultrasound report of the liver. An ultrasound does not give images nearly as clearly as like an MRI (for instance) but it is quicker, cheaper, and in many instances can be done bedside. The tech and interpreter (almost always a radiologist) can make judgments about things they visualize such as fluid, masses, etc that should not be present as a normal part of anatomy. Function and dynamics can also be assessed but there are some limitations due to how limited this study is at producing clear images like in a CT scan or MRI. What your interpreter has found is that there is an area of the liver is inconsistent or different throughout its cellular structure. Because of that fact, they are suspecting some dysfunctionality of those organ areas.

Keep in mind, it will now most likely require further testing to find out what is (specifically) going on in that section of the liver with the noted abnormality.

Thank you for your consult and good luck. Smile
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I still dont know what any off those words mean. what is hetergeneity, echotexture, parenchymal. What do those words mean? Does this mean cancer? Why did my md suggest to wait 1 year for a follow up
No problem: Echotexture just referes to the texture as it appears from the ultrasound (which uses echos).

Here are the other definitions for you too:

Parenchymal: Pertaining to the parenchyma of an organ. See: Parenchyma

Parenchyma: The key elements of an organ essential to its functioning, as distinct from the capsule that encompasses it and other supporting structures. The parenchyma.

play_w2("H0175600") (ht-rj-n-t)
The quality or state of being heterogeneous.
het·er·o·ge·ne·ous play_w2("H0175700") (htr--jn-s, -jnys)adj.
1. also het·er·og·e·nous (ht-rj-ns) Consisting of dissimilar elements or parts; not homogeneous. See Synonyms at miscellaneous.
2. Completely different; incongruous

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Sorry, last question. Does this usually mean cancer or do it mean that cancer will be in the future. Is this like fatty liver?

Frustratingly it could mean a number of things. As far as "cancer" is concerned, you usually expect to see something about a "mass" or "lesion" but that's not in the report you sent me. Your physician who is working with you on your problem will almost certainly follow this up with other, more specific, studies to find out what this abnormal presentation truly is. Shouldn't be too tough to find out from this point.

Edited by Dr. Wright on 12/22/2009 at 10:21 PM EST