Dr. RK
Dr. RK, Doctor
Experience:  M.B.B.S. , over 7 years of experience in the field of Medical practice

The left side of my neck hurts under and below my jaw. It seems

The left side of my neck hurts under and below my jaw. It seems like I might have an infected gland. The pain is not associated with my throat, tongue, teeth, swallowing or chewing. It seems to be deep in the tissue and vague in location. I can not feel any swelling or swollen areas. HELP! Just a mild discomfort that will not go away. I am a 57 year oled male in good health.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 6 years ago.

Dear golf,

Greetings and welcome to justanswer,

How long are the symptoms?

any associated chest pain, shoulder pain, numbness in jaw , fingers?

did you consult a doctor yet?

do you take any drugs?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Symptoms have gone on for 14 to 21 days. No chest or shoulder pain or numbness in jaw or fingers. Have not yet consulted a doctor. Vague pain seems to be located about 1 to 2 inches to the left of my adams apple and deeper in the neck tissue under the jaw. Could it be associated with a gland or corader artery? Pain not severe, just annoying. Does not seem to be "muscle or tooth related".
Expert:  Dr. RK replied 6 years ago.

Dear golf,

Thank you for the information,

There are some common causes of such neck pain.The common ones are unstable angina, myocardial ischaemia, nerve irritation, cervical disc pathology, muscle strain, etc.

As per the symptoms described by you, the chances of cardiac cause should be ruled out first which may cause such pain radiating to neck, jaw.The decreased blood supply as in unstable angina or myocardial ischaemia may cause such symptoms.

The other possibility could be the nerve irritation due to cervical pathology which may also be associated with such pain in this region.

You should have the relevant investigations done like ekg, 2d echo of heart, ct scan neck after consulting your doctor to know the associated pathology.

The treatment depends on the underlying cause.

Let me know if you have any doubt.

Thank you!