Internist
Internist, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Int. Med., Gastroenterology. Fellow American College of Physicians. Trained, located in the U.S.
13024878

I have a small lump at the top middle of my stomach. I had

I have a small lump at the top middle of my stomach. I had it for at least 2 years. It is soft with absolutly no pain. But I have had problems with
indigeston. I remember swallowing a piece of steak that seemed to get caught in my esophagas but slowely went down. I have had indigestion since.
I noticed the lump (about 1 1/2 inches wide, protruding in the area about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Some people have told me that it was a Hiatal Hernia. What do you think it could be?
Is the lump above or below your bellybutton?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No, it is just under my chest sternam or rib cage right in the middle.

You have several separate problems going on. What you are describing as a small lump is a most likely a hernia. This is an opening in the muscle of the abdomen that allows part of your intestine or fat to come through to the surface of your abdomen. Usually it can be pushed back in. If it is large it can be easily repaired. Usually these types of hernias do not present a problem unless a piece of intestine is caught and cannot be pushed back in. You and your doctor would have to make the decision whether or not to have surgery to fix it. Another problem the you have is called a Schatzki's ring. The name is XXXXX XXXXX to you but what it is is a benign fibrous ring at the bottom of your esophagus that will occasionally allow his foods such as steak to get caught. Usually this can gives pain and discomfort and then will pass when one drinks fluids. If this were to become a significant problem it can be dilated with certain instruments but if the happens only occasionally you may want to just chew your food very carefully and then it should not have a problem. You also described what is a hiatal hernia. this is different than the hernia that I described above. a hiatal hernia occurs when the stomach slides into the chest because of a larger opening in your diaphragm which is a muscle that helps with her breathing. Usually the symptoms of a hiatus hernia will include heartburn and regurgitation of stomach contents. The medication that you are on is excellent treatment for this problem. Hopefully this has clarified the questions you have.

*****Click ***** "ACCEPT" (GREEN) ***** or I do not get credit for my answer and Just Answer holds your deposit. Take a moment to leave a ***** POSITIVE ***** feedback which does not cost you anything. This response is for educational purposes only and does not substitute for a visit to your doctor or establish a doctor patient relationship.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Good, but does a hiatal hernia cause the knot?
No. You cannot see or feel a hiatal hernia. It must be diagnosed by tests. Is is not causing the knot.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will accept, but what is the charge?
It was indicated that this answer was valued at $45.