Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

I have a red ring around the foreskin of my penis were it rides

I have a red ring around the foreskin of my penis were it rides on the rim of the head of my penis when soft and also i have red spots that are on the rim of the head of my penis, these seem to be slighty swollen. I have no other symtems, no pain, no discomfort, no problems urinating, no sores or soreness, no discomfort at all just this uglyness.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

Red ring along with red spots can be due to the inflammation caused by infections.

Another possibility is eczematous reaction to the cloth material, condoms or personal hygiene products.

The next possible cause may be due to a condition called plasma cell balanitis.

This is usually due to the abnormal immune response by the body.

You can try antibacterial ointment neosporin & hydrocortisone ointment for a week to see if any improvement occurs.

Otherwise, you need to see a dermatologist for clinical evaluation.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I started using triple antibiatic cream and antibacterial soap but it seems to make it redder, no worse but redder. Is this normal?

graphic

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

Thanks so much for the picture.

This clarifies the issue.

your lesions is likely related to the balanitis xerotica, a progressively inflammatory condition.

Another possibility is erythroplasia of Querat.

This is a premalignant condition & reuires skin biopsy for the diagnosis.

In the meantime, please avoid soap & antibiotics cream, as this is not an infection.

You can try hydrocortisone cream.

But, please see a dermatologist soon for a skin biopsy.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One more thing, I have never in my intire life had any medical problems. I purchased my home in june of this year and it is a very old home that needed many repairs, one of witch was that the bathroom plumming was not working in the shower, so we were unable to take baths for quite some time untill the walls and plumming were repaired. we were forced to do sponge baths for quite sometime, could this have created the problem? It started about that time.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

Hi, possible.

As I mentioned atopic dermatitis one possibility, but this should respond to steroid cream.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you have been VERY helpfull and I will gladly make payment but just have this one last reply for you.

Can these conditions you have mentioned be successfully treated, (professionally ofcourse)?

Are these conditions, or can these conditions be sexualy transmitted?

You mentioned steriod creme and hydrocoritzone creme, are they one in the same? Can they be purchased over the counter? can I saffully try them for a few days to see if it helps?

Thank you once again for all your help and I WILL make payment as soon as I get your reply to this.

Expert:  Dr Basu replied 4 years ago.

Hydrocortisone is a steroid cream & available over the counter.

Other potent steroid creams like triamcinolone, clobetasol etc are prescription medications.

No these conditions are not sexually transmitted.

Yes, these conditions can be treated successfully.

You can try hydrocortisose cream for few day to see if your rash improves.

Good luck,

Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience: MD