Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
23101880

my spouse bilirubin is at 28 will it ever go down

Welcome to justanswer!

Do you have underlying diagnosis? cause of raised bilirubin?
As Bilirubin can go down Unless the underlying cause is treated...
and what treatments have you tried?

Regards.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He had liver failure, diagnosis 1.alcoholic cirrhosis,ascites, 2.status post paracentesis, 3.lower extremity edema, secondary to cirrhosis and hypoalbuminemia. 4.Hyponatremia, secondary to cirrhosis. history of gout. 6.hyperbilirubinemia and elevated liver function tests.
He is not drinking.
his bloting in belly is down, and water swelling in his legs has gone down.
Meds are- Lexapro, folic acid, lasix, Lactulose,Levaquin, therapeutic-M, prilosec,Spironolactone 100mg and 100mg B-1

As you know Cirrhosis (liver damage) is a serious condition that destroys healthy liver tissue, leaving scar tissue that can block the flow of blood through the liver. Cirrhosis progresses slowly, gradually causing the liver to stop functioning.

Cirrhosis cannot be cured, but treatment can slow the condition’s progress.
Since he had developed cirrhosis and complications. Treatment for cirrhosis cannot reverse liver damage, but it can stop or slow progression of the disease and reduce complications.

Such rises in bilirubin in the setting of cirrhosis result from acute decompensation, which is caused by many factors like natural progression of the disease, acute on chronic hepatitis or hepatoceellular carcinoma.

As he is already taking diuretics (to reduce ascites and edema and other supportive treatment). and surely cutting alcohol. Now first step would be to find the cause of this rise in bilirubin for which tests for acute hepatitis, USG abdomen or CAT scan abdomen for carcinomas.

The definite treatment is transplantation.

Feel Free to ask any queries about the answer!
I hope the answer was helpful..
Regards
Don't forget to click ACCEPT, if i have answered to your satisfaction. A positive feedback and bonus will be highly appreciated

Treatment of the underlying cause is mainstay of lowering bilirubin in the body like if there is associated acute infection, treatment of the infection. and if there is underlying tumor blocking the biliary tree, removal of the tumor or stenting or dilatation of the duct would be the option. and more definitely transplantation.

I hope the answer was helpful..
Regards