Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience:  Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States

why is my body racked with pain/aching. Right hand pins and

why is my body racked with pain/aching. Right hand pins and needles but first 2 fingers by thumb tips are numb. this what chiropractor has told me....different times and lately thyroid out of wack..low?? fibromyalgia at times even I am wondering about. the pain in body is now constant and affecting my sleep
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.

Where is your pain specifically?
What is your age?
Have you had a workup for your pain? (blood work, etc)
Do you take any medications?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I've been under lots of stress since July. ended 4 year relationship also moved. I'm and alcoholic. Sober since July 26/09. Haven't been eating properly since. go to aa meetings daily. I smoke. trying to quit. i drink alot of coffee. My period is no longer regular and is now missing months 3/4 at a time not sure....??? all different. last year had hot flashes and they stopped. I am bi-polar diagnosed 1995 My meds currently are: Topiromate 100mg 2x twice daily Bupropion HCL XL 300mg 1x morning / Bupropion HCL SR 150mg 1x4:00pm and Mirtazapine 30mg 1x 1@bedtime . Was wrestling grandson and put my L4 out left side I think about a month ago, but muscles in neck/shoulders and back always so tight. i don't understand the pain and numbness in fingers is driving me nuts. right shoulder jurt in car accident at age 18 pulled muscles/ right shoulder also pull rotator cuff and steroid shots about 4 years ago. Is it pinched nerves,thyroid. the pain is in ribs, pelvis joints thighs, neck, shoulders, arms like my body hurts all over. Why, when i grab something with my right hand the palm of my hand wants to pins and needle more and go numb after the tips of the 2 fingers so numb i lift up the nails to relieve the pressure a bit or squeese the tips to stop the tingling, Is it circulation/blood???? what/why??? can't be a flu / body ache

Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
I am sorry you are feeling poorly.
I can definitely explain the symptoms in your hand for you.

One of the most common causes of tingling in the hand is carpal tunnel syndrome. This develops when the nerve that supplies the thumb, pointer and middle finger becomes irritated or compressed as it passes through a tunnel/band of tissue in the wrist. It causes numbness and tingling of the thumb, pointer and middle finger, just as you are describing.

People at risk for the development of this syndrome include pregnant women (wrist swells during pregnancy) and people who work on computers/typewriters or do a lot of repetitive work with their hands.

The nerve that supplies the hands/forearm can also be irritated anywhere along its course. It does not have to be the wrist, it can occur at the elbow or at the level of the neck. It is not a blood supply issue.

For this reason, a nerve conduction test/EMG test is performed in order to determine exactly where the problem is occuring. Your doctor may be able to tell by physical exam where the likely area is, but the EMG is the test of choice.

Until you can see your doctor for an exam and testing, you can try wearing wrist splint at night that keep your wrist in neutral position.
Also try taking an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen or aleve (as long as you do not have any contraindications).

Treatment for the syndrome depends on where the nerve is being irritated. If it is the wrist, the splints, physical therapy and steroid injections can all be tried.

As for the body aches all over, I would suggest that you have your doctor do some blood work to check for autoimmune diseases such as rheumatoid arthritis. (rheumatoid factor, ANA, sed rate, CRP, and thyroid test).

I hope this information is helpful for you. Let me know if you have any follow up questions and I will be happy to answer for you,

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!

Dr. Abby, US Board Certified MD
Experience: Family Physician practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for the information, fibromyalgia is a concern you didn't mention. since it is my first time using this site. i am not going to continue asking questions and i am not totally accepting the answer but is the only way to end and finalize contact. thanks just the same, i will know in the future to not pay for information.
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 4 years ago.
I am happy to answer the fibromyalgia aspect without you paying any more if you would like. I am very sorry that you are not satisfied.

Fibromyalgia is definitely a possible cause of your symptoms. (the tightness and pain in the muscles of your neck, etc)
I suggested that you see your doctor for the autoimmune workup to rule out other causes first simply as a first step.
Fibromyalgia causes widespread muscular pain (meaning throughout your body). It is common in the neck and shoulder muscles but also causes pain in the low back, arms, chest and legs.
Other associated symptoms can include dizziness, weakness, imbalance and fatigue.

If you have tenderness of the muscles at multiple spots, then the diagnosis will likely fit. That is how the diagnosis is usually made.
Thyroid test, sed rate, blood count and muscle enzymes should be done by your doctor as an initial evaluation.

There are many different treatments available for fibromyalgia, including Lyrica and Cymbalta (to name a few), once the diagnosis is made.

I am happy to continue answering your questions until you are satisfied, so please let me know if you have any more.

Dr Abby

Edited by Dr. Abby on 12/15/2009 at 12:51 PM EST