Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS MS. Post doctoral fellowship in Sports Medicine. General surgeon and sports medicine specialist

Having pain in my left ring finger

i am having terrible pain in my left ring finger, it hurts in the palm of my hand just below the knuckle, I havent jammed it, what can i do?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 6 years ago.

Since how long are your symptoms?

Is there any swelling, redness, tenderness?

Any history of injury?

Are you diabetic or have thyroid disorder?

Are you on any medications?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No history of injury, I am not on any medication. I don't think Im diabetic, I don't know about the thyroid. Started hurting about 3 days ago, really hurts when bending, when i first wake up i have a hard time straightening it.

One of the possibility is trigger finger. The treatment is local steroid shot. Investigation for the thyroid and diabetes should be undertaken. Anti-inflammatory analgesic like Ibuprofen (Motrin / Advil) are also helpful. Please read about the trigger finger;

The other possibility is tenosynovitis. It is inflammation of the tendon and its sheath (synovium). The treatment is warm moist compresses or moist heat (warm water insertion of the finger, thrice a day), local analgesic cream and Ibuprofen (Motrin), with mild physical therapy.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun