Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

Have a sore toe ...rednes around the toe nail ...toe nail corners

Have a sore toe ...rednes around the toe nail ...toe nail corners are intact ...no ingrown toe nail effect ...I am a diabetic.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question, but it will help if you could provide some further information:

Is the redness only around the base, or does it also include the sides?

Is the area very tender when pressed?

How long has this been present?

Are you having any other symptoms?

How well controlled is your diabetes?

What does your blood sugar tend to run?

What was your last HgbA1c?

What medicines do you take?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bright Redness is around the big noe nail on the right foot ...outside is somewhat red.

Tender area is top of toe and right side of toe.

This has been sore for about 4 days.

No other symptoms.

Diabetes ...sugar count was 300 dropped to 135 this week with actos pill. Was on steroid prednisone for about 2 months <under 3 doctors care> ...to stop itching, sores and scratching ...the itching is still a problem ...PERSONAL COMMENT: I'm living with the problem and believe it will go away after I stabilize my sugar level ...PREDNISONE DOES NOT SEEM TO ASSIST. Sugar Count is normally 110 to 130 taking glubride 6mg 2X daily.

HgbA1c ...I don't know ...I do not have high blood pressure and my colestraol is in safe territory.

Medicines: Glubride ...6mg 2X's daily

Levoxoyl ....002mg mornings

Theophyln ...400 mg 2X 's daily

Singulair ...10mg tab at night only

Thank you for the additional information.

There are several issues to consider. The greatest concern is whether this represents an infection. An infection around the nail can occur even if the corners of the nail are clear. In patients with diabetes, there needs to be a heightened concern about foot infections, because diabetes and foot infections are the most common medical reason for amputations. Obviously, the better that the diabetes is controlled, the lower the risk of complications related to diabetes, but even the best control does not eliminate the risk. There certainly can be non-infectious inflammation around the nail, which may be related to the other inflammations that you describe that has been treated with steroids. If the pain and tenderness is significant, you should be seen quickly. If the symptoms are less significant, you can try soaking your feet in warm water twice and day, dry throughly, and apply a topical antibiotic, such as Neosporin. If this improves the symptoms over 2-3 days, then you need not be further concerned. If it does not, you should be seen to be evaluated to ensure that there is no infection.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience: Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.